Are boats more maneuverable with inboard or outboard?

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

richrand

Are boats more maneuverable with inboard or outboard?

Post by richrand »

Hey,

The title sums up my query. Are sailboats, 7.9 in particular, more maneuverable with inboard or outboard? Or does it not matter. All variables should be assumed to be ideal for each setup (right HP, right shaft length, right setup, etc.)

Thanks.

Rich
CHA CHÁ CAT #90
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Out board is, if you can steer the motor and rudder together. Jeff #250
Check out the Horizon True Camera Mounts for video taping on board while racing! www.horizontrue.com
LarryE-old

Circles

Post by LarryE-old »

By turning the outboard and rudder the same way hard, I can spin tight circles
Purr-Fect
Tom Line

Post by Tom Line »

Yep. If you can steer the outboard and the helm at once (not hard), you can turn on a dime.
Tom Line
Hull 421
Grrr...
8)
rogerssp

Post by rogerssp »

A steerable prop is always more manuverable than a fixed prop. A more distantant prop from the centerline of the hull is alway more manuverable. The outboard wins in every case.

Spencer Rogers
288 Avatar
fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

Post by fleck »

I don't think that distance from center has anything to do with it. At slow speeds, before you can steer with the rudder, you can turn the motor and change the trust direction for steering.
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
Greg Fiegelist

Post by Greg Fiegelist »

Love my 7.9, had it about 6 years, but next boat will be a inboard. We do day sailing and some cruising. Prop comes out of the water too mutch on lake Erie when bouncing on waves. Also seems very slow going when the wind dies (9.9 hp).

Greg "Shelly Girl"
Bob Kirsten

Your question on inboard vs outboard

Post by Bob Kirsten »

Rich,

My 7.9 has the Yanmar Diesel, and my previous boat was a J24 with 5HP Honda outboard. All the other comments are right on, that if you choose to steer the outboard, it will turn tighter than the inboard, but it does take some gymnastics over the transom to pull it off. Even with the inboard, the 7.9 will turn in about her own length. I love the ability to stand at the helm and nudge the throttle, or shift into reverse easily (with the inboard). A friend at the club has a 10HP outboard on his 7.9 and I think it is faster than my Yanmar, but I can take the waves better.

Bob Kirsten
DD Mau
Bob Kirsten - DD Mau
North Star Sail Club, Michigan
robert_kirsten@hotmail.com
Norwalk-ROTC

Post by Norwalk-ROTC »

Basic answer to basic question is - more manueverable with the outboard because the outboard and rudder can be used in concert to turn more sharply.
Any day sailing is a day in the classroom.