Sailing around Indianapolis

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

richrand

Sailing around Indianapolis

Post by richrand »

So I've got a job offer from Indianapolis. Anybody know anything about the sailing scene? I looked on line but didn't find a whole lot of info.
CHA CHÁ CAT #90
harrymccoy

Post by harrymccoy »

buzz indy sailor listed on boats for sale...he's in indiana apparently, sailing sloop du jour

harry#100
Norwalk-ROTC

Post by Norwalk-ROTC »

I don't know if they race sailboats on it, but Safer Lake, Monticello (an hour and a half or so North of Indy) is big enough for it.

Also, south, just a bit from Bloomington, there is Monroe Resevoir and it too may have racing.

I grew up just south of Indy and know that there is a lot of boating on these two locations and on the Ohio River as well.
Any day sailing is a day in the classroom.
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

There is a guy who just bought a 7.9 in the Indy area, SeanR, check his post in rigging tips.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
SeanR

Post by SeanR »

Unfortunately, I'm moving the boat to NE NC. Local club stuff (Albemarle Sound) in the spring and maybe up the bay summer and fall.

SeanR
Windtamer
Mark Gutteridge

Post by Mark Gutteridge »

We delivered a mast to an S2 owner at a yacht club in Indy a few years ago.It was very early in the morning and we really did not get a sense of how large the waters were.
But I have been lead to believe it is a resevoir type of sailing like Lake Norman or Percy Priest in Mashville.
Guts
willk

Eagle Creek Res

Post by willk »

Hi, new here. About to finalize purchase of hull #471. Been sailing for years and whenever, Brenda and I travel we always seek out sailing.

When visiting the USGP three years ago, we found Eagle Creek Res. They have a large sailing community there. The lake is on the smallish side, probably not more than 2 thousand acres. There is a restriction on boat size of 26 feet and a horsepower restriction of 10 hp.

The Eagle Creek Sailing club's website is http://www.ecsail.org/
Jim Redding

Sailing In Southern Indiana

Post by Jim Redding »

Check out the following link:

http://www.lakemonroesailing.com/

The charter specifies it is for sailboats only and it is a non-profit concessionaire to the State of Indiana. I.E A defacto sailing cooperative with over 220 members.

We are currently trying to revive the racing program but we are having much more success with a youth sailing program.

The State of Indiana requires permits (filed on State Form 15832) for sailboat races on state waters. The IDNR prohibits any sailboat races or regattas on holiday weekends, period. They started charging $25 for each permit application, although it isn't specified.

The Indy sailing groups are on private or city waters and are exempt of the state permitting.

I permitted the youth sailing program just in case they were racing each other. . . (of course the kids are racing), weekend races, and Wednesday races. The statute says even practicing for a race requires a permit.
Jim
Ariel
Hull 382