Where are all the boats

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

SailingUphill

Re: Where are all the boats

Post by SailingUphill »

Hull number #217 is in Pulaski, VA
I went to look at it today. I did not make a decision yet. Boat could be a pretty successful project boat for someone. I am personally looking for something that requires less work.

There are good things to see on the boat. Original mast. Early Harken furler with removable drum. Some spare servicable race sails. Great Honda outboard. Pintails are good.

Starboard bulkhead needs reworked, both chainplates, and mast step. Again not the end of the world work, but still.

Anyway. I didn't see a name on her, but 217 located.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

#278 is now located in the Seattle, Wa are... Kent, Wa to be exact!

Any other PNW 7.9 owners, feel free to reach out cklamp at live . c0m

Later
C
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

I just put an offer in, and deposit on a 1984 S2 7.9, named "Ragtime." Boat appears to be hull number 399.
You will think me crazy but I have not seen the boat in person yet. Owner states he has raced it for 20 years. I looked at the record and it looks like he's been consistently on the podium during that period, in a small fleet in MN.

I went looking through the member list and haven't seen him here, but I cannot imagine him not having been a member.

Anyway when I close the deal, likely late Jan 2023, I will get a membership and can be here to harass you folks again.
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

SailingUphill wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:08 pm I just put an offer in, and deposit on a 1984 S2 7.9, named "Ragtime." Boat appears to be hull number 399.
You will think me crazy but I have not seen the boat in person yet. Owner states he has raced it for 20 years. I looked at the record and it looks like he's been consistently on the podium during that period, in a small fleet in MN.

I went looking through the member list and haven't seen him here, but I cannot imagine him not having been a member.

Anyway when I close the deal, likely late Jan 2023, I will get a membership and can be here to harass you folks again.
Glad to see you back in a 7.9.

Looks like your hull was owned by a Mr. Larson, and was last a member of the class in 2016. You can gander at the current and past members list at https://s279.org/Documents/Membership.pdf , then search for Ragtime.

Funny I keep an eye on sailboat listings in Iowa and minnesota, and never saw Ragtime pop up. I'm curious where it was posted?
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

There is another S2 7.9 for sale at Hooper Yachts. Yellow Jacket, where I found Ragtime.
https://hoopersyachts.com/

For the record my Google Fu is unmatched (Actually I use Duck Duck Go), so that'd be "Duck Fu." Honestly one cannot make this stuff up.

On my search for an affordable S2 7.9, I pull out all the stops.

It appears that Mr. Larson is racing in a growing fleet of J22s now. Yeah I'd probably do the same if it meant being able to sail OD.
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

Ah okay. I do check Hooper's now and then. And funny when I was shopping for my boat Yellow Jacket was for sale by a private seller up there, they had sold it by the time I called. That was in 2020. I guess the yellow hull is 'famous' in the class for losing its rig in a race (there's a class note about vhf antenna placement, I guess when their mast came down their mast-mount antenna was underwater and they couldn't call for help).

Hooper's had a 7.9, Pappa Grappa, for sale for years and years. Ragtime got listed and sold fast at least, and didn't get left out in the weather for long.

And I always thought there was an okay sized 7.9 fleet at Wayzata, but I guess there are more J/22s up there. We have three 7.9s on our lake now, but can't convince the other two owners to race. First World Problems...