Looking to join the club

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Rhys05

Looking to join the club

Post by Rhys05 »

Hello all! After significant analysis of my requirements for my next boat, I have settled upon the S2 7.9 as the best fit intersection of those specifications. I currently have my eye on at least two possible boats to go look at in the very near future and would like to ask if anyone has a list of things that should be checked pre-offer (I will be making any offers contingent upon a professional survey..) and any questions I should be asking the current owner. Are there any particular modifications that I should be looking for (good or bad)? Thanks for your help, and I hope to be numbered among the S2 7.9 owners soon!

Brandon
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Re: Looking to join the club

Post by Tim Bosma »

Brandon,
How is the boat search going? Where are you located?
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
Rhys05

Post by Rhys05 »

Tim-

I was starting to wonder if anyone still frequented this board! My wife and I went and looked at one this past weekend actually. It needs a good amount of work (starboard bulkhead needs replaced, some soft spots in the deck, etc.), but if we were able to get it for a good price (taking all the work I'd have to do into account) we may consider it. We are located in central Indiana (we live between Indianapolis and Lafayette). To be honest, I would really like to find one that doesn't need QUITE as much work and that has a more reasonable asking price currently attached to it (the one we looked at is very very overpriced for its condition). It would have to have a highway capable, ramp launching trailer too. Know of any? :)

Thanks for showing me that there are still people around these parts!

Brandon
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Hey Brandon -
I'm the guy who sent you a few messages on Sailnet. I live in Sandusky.
Was the 7.9 you looked at in Sandusky the one at Cross Bay? I tried to warn you about it, but sailnet would not let me pm you. I looked at it last summer with one of my crew guys, and found it full of water - both interior and cockpit. He wound up buying # 537 at Atwood Lake (it's still up on the "for sale" page).
Seems to me that the one in Sarnia might be OK.
Next time you're in Sandusky, stop by and I'll show you my 7.9 along with another that is in storage at the same place. (But I'll be gone until mid-March - working on the Vet for Peace Golden Rule Project in Calif. Check it out on the web - way cool.)
Rhys05

Post by Rhys05 »

AJ- I don't know whether or not this is the same boat that was at Cross Bay. This one is currently sitting at Harbor North in Huron. Did the one you looked at have a green harbor stripe with red anti-fouling? A Nissan 9.8 with cockpit mounted controls? The boat definitely needs a significant amount of work (very far from turn key), but like I said before I'll consider it if I can get it for the right price. I'd still prefer one that is in better shape though... {hint hint to anyone out there that may want to sell theirs...}

Brandon

P.S. I've contacted the owner of the boat in Sarnia, the only thing holding me back there is the lack of a trailer that I can reliably tow the boat on.