Portlight configuration confusion

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Southern Gales

Portlight configuration confusion

Post by Southern Gales »

I'm in the market for a 7.9 and noticed there are a lot of 8.0s for sale out there that are claiming to be 7.9's. I'm guessing each model has it's own portlight configuration and just need a little verification...
Do all of the 79s have the same two fixed/ one open (located forward) per side configuration for all production time periods? I'm guessing the 8.0's have 3 fixed portlights and the traveler in front of the companionway whereas, the 79s have it just forward of the tiller. There are also some S2's claiming to to 7.9s with only two fixed portlights per side and no forward opening. What's up with that?
I am focusing on the portlight layout because it is the most prominent feature in the ad photos. Even when I call some of the owners don't know what model they truly have.
Thanks, Chris in Tampa
~Chris
Jeffrey

Re: Portlight configuration confusion

Post by Jeffrey »

Hi Chris, the 7.9's come with 2 fixed windows, and an optional small third opening port, so, some 7.9's have two fixed and not the third. The 8.0 has 3 fixed windows (more of a cruiser). 99% of 7.9 owners will know their boat (more of a racer). Also, all but about (10) 7.9's have a lifting center board, which allows trailer launching a breeze. Good luck!

There are a few 7.9's for sale on this web site and there is also one in Minnesota, you can see on Craig's list.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/b ... 55642.html

Come join the fun, you'll love the 7.9!! Jeff Mootz (Skyhawk) #250
Check out the Horizon True Camera Mounts for video taping on board while racing! www.horizontrue.com
Southern Gales

Re: Portlight configuration confusion

Post by Southern Gales »

Thank you Jeff, Interesting how that forward portlight is optional. I wonder if it was optional throughout the entire production period. I will post another question regarding performance & fabrication issues of the 7.9's with respect to the year built.

Yes, I can't wait to make the jump to 7.9's. The only issue I've heard about is the tiller-traveller distance and how the helmsman may have difficulty switching sides during tacking. I'm sure there's some posts here that talk about it, I just have to dig.

Thanks for the craigslist link. I wasn't planning on going that far north but if the deal is right, why not? I just found out my Tacoma has the towing package, which can handle 6,000+ lbs. Trailer brakes would be a must crossing the Appalachians. I do plan to race in other states once I find the right 7.9 to purchase.
Have a great weekend and enjoy the water. 8)
~Chris