7.9 for sale on Craigs list

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Jeffrey

7.9 for sale on Craigs list

Post by Jeffrey »

I found another 7.9 for sale on Craig's list.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/b ... 55642.html

I called him and there is also an older Zodiac that is included.

Jeff Mootz (Skyhawk) #250
Check out the Horizon True Camera Mounts for video taping on board while racing! www.horizontrue.com
Southern Gales

Re: 7.9 for sale on Craigs list

Post by Southern Gales »

Looks like a reasonable price... new mast and rigging in 2009, sweet. I'm I little leery of the old hull number. Love that sail inventory and mast raising rig! Thanks for keeping an eye out. There would have to be some negotiation regarding the distance/transport if we ever got that far. I just sold the O'day daysailer and the C&C is going on the market this month. Once that is sold then I will be positioned to buy outright. Right now, I would have to put down a holder's fee until the C&C sells.
~Chris
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

I had been watching one on Craigslist in Grand Haven, Mich for $7150. Hull Nbr 032. Ad is here: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/4451457672.html
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Tim you wanna do some recon for me?

I am a prospective new buyer, rather new S2 owner, used buyer, and I too have been watching that boat in MI... but it's a 10 hour drive for me.

I just got back from going to see a boat that was for sale in upstate NY (I had cash in hand and had driving my 3500 diesel to tow the boat home). I was (to say the least) highly unhappy with what I found when I actually got to see the boat. It was an under $10k boat so I wasn't expecting the world, however, the mast step was dimpled in more than 1/8", the starboard AND port chainplate cores were wet/rotted/hollow, boat leaked at several other places (and obviously so as it had just rained the night before, and the headliner was soaked around at these various places where there was staining)... bottom was billed as "recently done," and was obviously ablative that had worn away... The owner said it was "very dry," and had new "Banks" racing sails, as well as new standing rigging from JSI... When I got there, the "racing sails" were missing some stitching, and were folded (and had been for quite some time), they were all there as was stated, but not exactly "new." The new standing rigging, had a pulled thread of wire above the port shroud, not a bur, a 10 foot strand come undone. The outboard might have been OK, but hadn't been started in likely 2 years, and given the state of everything else it seemed pointless to attempt to start it. I won't even go into how the trailer was billed as "needing a little work, and I might be able to get it on the road in a couple hours." Dry rot on 4 tires, one flat, and 2 dead bearings? Ugh...

So before I make a 20 hour round trip drive, I'd like a pair of eyes to give me an honest assessment of this one in Grand Rapids. So far the owner has been very straightforward, and has said that the core is soft where the inboard would be on the inboard model (its an outboard model). Again I can handle some work, that's not the issue, I just wanna go into this eyes wide open. Depending on how he (the owner in MI) answers I had considered the trip, but if it's as poorly billed as the guy in NY was, I might be tempted to look for redress for my time/money spent for the trip... to put things mildly.

There is way more to the boat in NY story, but I'll stop short and suffice to say, the owner KNEW better than to try to bill his boat as "dry."
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Uphill,
I am sorry not to have seen this post earlier. Hull # 32 is no longer on Craigslist. I do have a lead on #89, but right now it it just some talk, no contact info, etc.
Thanks,
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Tim, It's Ok, I just put in an offer and it was accepted for one closer to me in NJ... It should be way less of an issue getting it home (hopefully).

It's the inboard model, but a 1986 (hull 497) with a yanmar. Boat is dry where it needs to be (mast step, chain plates, gudgeons or is that pintails since the S2 does that all backward).

The list of things to do to it to make her "race ready" again is quite long, but the bones of the boat are quite good. The owner has been VERY straightforward and frankly I really like that he's the original owner. There is a testimony for your folks... One owner, purchased in 1986.. sailed the boat every year until last. That is SOME kind of dedication to a boat design.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.