New sails

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

normbue

New sails

Post by normbue »

Has anyone bought sails from Dave at Bullit Sails In Arkansas. If so do you have any opinions or comments?
Pete

Re: New sails

Post by Pete »

Nope...but have bought sails from Quantum (Detroit) and they seem fast and good quality. They have spent a lot of time with the Holland, Michigan fleet in development. I'm betting Quantum anywhere would use the same design. Be worth getting a quote.
USA007

Post by USA007 »

I have never heard of Bullit Sails. I recently bought all new sails for hull #7, since it came with only the original sails. I went with Doyle for two reason. First, the rep in my area is a long time friend and is well known for providing excellent service and support. Second, after shopping around they are the only ones who have a tuning guide readily available. Having raced in a lot of different one design classes, I am a firm believer that a sail/sailmaker is only as good as their tuning guide. Others may have tuning guides, in fact the Quantum and North Guys said they had some good settings. Doyle just left me with the most confidence that I'd be able to find decent boat speed in all conditions.

As a bit of background, I have never worked for a sailmaker and in most any other class I would recommend North Sails for the reasons stated above. Just my $0.02.

Drew
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Besides the obvious Boston Doyle sails that have been extensively developed and tested, and raced...
I'd only ever probably consider Eilliot Pattison sails as an alternative http://www.epsails.com. They've been working with the small fleet of S2 7.9s in MN for a couple years.

If you are considering any kind of serious racing I wouldn't stray far from the guys who are actively sailing the boats and/or actively getting feedback from the performance of their designs.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
alanhsails

Post by alanhsails »

T.J. Craig at Quantum has been really responsive to my requests for information, and he's in the Traverse City loft. I'd like to give a serious shout-out about TJ. Despite the fact that I'm 1,000 miles away, he's been remarkably communicative. If I lived in the neighborhood, I'd be pretty serious about picking up Quantum rags. Here's his e-mail -- T.J. Craig <tjcraig@quantumsails.com> -- Shoot the man an e-mail.

Our local Doyle rep was also responsive and the prices were somewhat lower, but not a *Huge* amount lower. What sent me to Doyle was that our local loft is literally 100 yards from where I'll be keeping the boat. There's also some local political /development BS coming down at the Marina that I don't need to get into here, but that's made it plain to me that I want to support businesses that are located within the marina complex.
normbue

Post by normbue »

Bullit sails is in Arkansas, and is the "Dave" that posted many entries on sails and rigging in 2008 -2009.