Runaway

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

tomspicer

Runaway

Post by tomspicer »

Hi everyone, I am now the proud owner of Runaway, can anyone tell me about it, bought at an auction in Maryland and brought back here to Grimsby Ont. Canada. Any info would be helpful
Thanks
Tom
Pete

Re: Runaway

Post by Pete »

Congratulations from a fellow Canuck. We have hull 122 which we sail out of Cedar Island Yacht Club, near Kingsville, in the west end of Lake Erie. The 7.9 is a great boat as I'm sure you know. Have to wonder how you found your boat.
If you look under the 'Members' link you'll find this. Someone else will likely have more info.

John Allen, Arnold, MD, Runaway 23, Potapskut Saing Association, Regular Member, 20130313
tomspicer

Post by tomspicer »

Thankyou, trying to find him but this is a very hard forum to work with, bought it from a friend who buys lots of boats( all power ) who had bid on it on a on line auction, description was 26 foot boat with trailer, he bid on it not knowing it was a sailboat, and won the bid, he knew I was a sailor and asked me if I wanted it. Yes I said and it was dropped off on Sat. Needs lots of work, damage on the stern, and rudder does not have all the parts, but a great project. I would love to talk soon as I don't know a lot about them, the last boat I had was a Kirby 25 and this could be fun. My email is spicertw@hotmail.com, if you can help me out with finding the former owner.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Interesting. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the former owner but interestingly my last boat was a Kirby 25 also. Bought the Slam because a club member had one for sale and we decided we wanted something more comfortable for some cruising. The lifting keel, trailerability and excellent performance made it an obvious choice. The Kirby was great fun though.
As far as your rudder parts there are folks on this site who can actually supply parts such as new cheeks and bushings. I used a tiller from a Catalina (with some minor modification) to replace the too long and too low original. Look in the boats for sale link. At the bottom there is a listing of various bits for sale.
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

check up Stef for cheeks and bushings.

I'd be hesitant to track down a former owner, if I had purchased through an auction. My guess is the boat went to auction on less than desirable circumstances.
Ex: sheriff sale, catastrophic damage/collision, huge financial loss, unable to sell, etc.

YMMMV of course.

Welcome to the insanity. I'm JUST starting to get a handle on this boat, looking forward to see how well it does when I outfit it with a decent set of sails.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
tomspicer

Post by tomspicer »

Thank you for info. If anyone could help, it would be great.
Tac Boston

Post by Tac Boston »

If you any info you can't find here or when ready to sail and need some sails give us a ring or an email. we are in Sarnia and may know a little about the boat :)

Congrats BTW! The 7.9 is a great boat and a great value. We have 3 here that race a lot and a couple more we get out once in a while.
Cheers

Tac Boston
Doyle Boston Sails
519-344-5236
tomspicer

Post by tomspicer »

Hi Tac,

Runaway has your sails already, headsail is coming apart, can it be repaired?

Thanks
Tom
Tac Boston

Post by Tac Boston »

tomspicer wrote:Hi Tac,

Runaway has your sails already, headsail is coming apart, can it be repaired?

Thanks
Tom
Tom can you take a few pics of the damage and email me? tac(@)doyleboston.com.

I can have a look and we can go from there.
Cheers
Tac
tomspicer

Post by tomspicer »

Thanks, will do
tomspicer

Post by tomspicer »

cannot afford to store and put in water next year $3500 with trailer for sale, let me know @ spicertw@hotmail.com
tomspicer

Post by tomspicer »

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know John Allen? He was the former owner of Runaway, and was a member of this association. I recently bought this boat, and wondering if has an info on it.

Thank you.
tomspicer

Post by tomspicer »

Hi, does anyone have a prop shaft support and cutlass bearing assembly, mine is damaged and need one, just wondered if anyone kept one when the converted to outboard from the diesel?
Thanks
USA007

Post by USA007 »

Tom,

I have a strut with cutlass bearing, folding prop, and shaft I removed from hull 7. Visually everything appears to be in great condition, but I never used any of it since the boat was partially converted to an outboard when we bought her. As far as I can tell nothing has seen salt water. Let me know if you would like more information or photos.

Drew
tomspicer

Re:bmw diesel

Post by tomspicer »

Hi everyone, any idea the best procedure to winterize the engine, first year with boat and want to do it.
Thanks in advance