Two speed winches only one speed.

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Photobug

Two speed winches only one speed.

Post by Photobug »

I had to haul my wife up the mast and did so using the main halyard and the self tailing winch on the Starboard side. I tried to use the port winch 2-speed feature to make it easier but it was not going into second gear. Can anyone tell me which model of Lewmar is used on the 7.9 so i can get as much info on it before I visit the boat next week to make repairs?
Jameso

Re: Two speed winches only one speed.

Post by Jameso »

The stock 16 was a 2 speed lewmar. I don’t know the model number but don’t believe there has been any material change when compared to todays Lewmar 16 2 speed. This looks like the one on my boat. https://www.lewmar.com/node/15050 Good luck
Photobug

Post by Photobug »

Thanks 16 is the model #. I took off the ring and oiled the first set of paws right on top and it now all works.

I did not have any cleaner and grease on hand so did not do a full maintenance, that can happen next visit.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I use a cheap plastic dish washing tub when servicing winches. Get yourself a dollar store tub, cut a round hole in the bottom in size equal to the bottom winch diameter and place it over the winch before you start tearing down. If any bits go astray they'll end up in the tub.