Anyone use their boat as a cruiser?

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Photobug

Anyone use their boat as a cruiser?

Post by Photobug »

My primary goal is to race and weekend on my 7.9 but would also like to cruise it maybe to Catalina or the PNW for a week at a time.

Right now the boat has a basic panel with only one 12v outlet in the cockpit.

Here are upgrades I am considering to make the boat more cruise-able.

Upgrading stern pulpits to Capri 22s to hold BBQ and solar.
Adding more USB outlets inside.
Second battery not sure where to put it, maybe behind the stairs.

I would appreciate anyone sharing what upgrades they have done to make the boat more cruise worthy?
What are the two tanks onboard, water and grey water but which is which?
Has anyone added a 12v outlet to the sink pedestal area? How do you get the wires there?

Thanks for any suggestions.
reidmefirst

Re: Anyone use their boat as a cruiser?

Post by reidmefirst »

The previous owners of my boat put a second battery, right in front of the first ('front' being towards to the bow, so just next to the head). You just have to keep it covered with a plastic cover, so nobody accidentally puts their hand down on the positive terminal while using the head...

For getting wiring to the sink area: previous owners of my boat ran some outlets around the boat for shore power. They ran one set of wires under the port side settee, under the sink, and through a support pipe on the sink countertop, which acts as a support for the cabinet. This carries 120V power on my boat, but I guess it would be easy enough to run 12V power using the same method (running 12V power forward under the starboard settee, through the engine cabinet, over to the port settee, and finally back forward to the sink area). Interestingly the wiring diagram in the owners manual (see link below), shows wires for a stereo speaker just next to the galley. But my boat doesn't have that speaker, or the wires.

The tanks: the owner manual (available here: https://host-a.net/f/229922-s2-79-owners-manualpdf ) shows the plumbing diagram on page 9. The fresh water tank is the one under the v-berth, and the holding tank for the sink is under the port settee.

I bought a Safire 'Stable Stove' for cooking (it's a fancy metal gymbal for holding a small MSR JetBoil camp stove, great for making coffee/tea/soup). This can be mounted on the daggerboard trunk above where the table mounts. I bought a second mounting bracket for placing it in the cockpit, for when the weather is nice.

I tend to be pretty minimalist when it comes to camping. If I was going to take the boat cruising on a regular basis, as defined as 2 or more days without visiting a port, I'd consider adding a real marine head with holding tank. Others have installed these into the 7.9. I guess you would put the holding tank for this under the v-berth, next to the fresh water tank (yummy), or optionally under the starboard side settee .The latter option gets a little weird because all the wiring runs through there. I'd hate to have to troubleshoot a wiring issue with head plumbing being in the same area.

As a cruiser, think of the 7.9 as a 'rugged backpacking trip' as opposed to a RV camping trip. Probably not the most comfortable, but it'll work in a pinch. Hope that helps.
Photobug

Post by Photobug »

Thank you helps me a lot.

When I camp it is usually out of my truck or in a tent so the boat cruising would be about the same. I would keep in simple maybe only one AC outlet, just to run a battery charger, then add a few 12v outlets by the sink and one by the head for charging phones, running fans. FIguring out how to get power from the motor to the battery and add wiring for my portable solar panels.

I have a Coleman propane grill burner and considering buying a 12v fridge freezer. I know it won't be luxury but more spacious than those camping out in a West Wight Potter 15.
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

On my boat (hull # 11) the previous owner had it set up for cruising. Some things I kept and some I didn't. He had a second battery under the starboard settee just aft of the stock battery. He had a Norcold fridge in the locker under the steps. He had a dangerous pair of 6 gallon gas tanks in the aft cockpit lockers plumbed together and feeding the outboard through a hole in the transom. (Yes I removed them) On my boat the fresh water tank is under the port settee and the gray water tank under the v-berth. I replaced the gray water tank with a small 1 gallon tank and moved the original 5 gallon tank to the starboard side and turned it into a holding tank for a real marine head. Flush water comes from the 1 gallon gray water tank. No thru-hulls involved. Pump-out is on the deck. One burner Force 10 sea swing is mounted on the c-board trunk.
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

I like the grey water for head idea, because 3 thru-hulls (speed, depth, and my boat has an yanmar) is already too much. If I ever get to the point that I consider a real head I'd have to do something similar.

I know there are weird rules about sanitation, do you know if having the head take water from the galley holding tank, has any special valve requirements? For example if the head somehow let contamination back into the grey water tank. (Even if so, still seems like a better idea than a thru-hull and a risk I'd live with!).
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

Had the boat since '96. Head was installed in '98. Never had a problem. Just make sure your hoses are routed correctly. A pint or two of water in the gray tank with a 1/2 cup of head/sanitation cleaner and I'm good to go. I haven't used the fresh water tank in this century. Bottled water in the cooler is preferred. The built in galley icebox is used as a dry pantry, all cold stuff goes in an igloo cooler, so neither icebox or sink contribute to the gray tank. Only what I occasionally dump down the drain.
Photobug

Post by Photobug »

How are your battery(s) installed?

Mine was shoved right under the cabinet in the head. Only a #24 can fit in there, but barely. There are remnants of battery tie downs but it looks like they were corroded away, from maybe acid spill? I was thinking of adding a #27 batter box rotated for and aft with the box partially sticking out aft of this cabinet.
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

I have a #27 under the cabinet in the head, pushed as far forward as it will go (aside, the former owner of my boat had connected this battery -backwards- which I just figured out yesterday, this blew my alternator's rectifier diodes, and made some funny electrical gremlins in other systems).

I have a #24 mounted with a floor-bolted strap, right next to the port-a-potty head. I'm just on a small-ish lake (7 miles long x 1 mile wide), the #27 is not tied town at all. Since it is squeezed against the bulkhead by the other battery, and we don't exactly get massive waves on our lake, this is fine. If I were going on a great lake or taking the boat to a coast I'd definitely mount up a tie-town for the #27 too.

Sounds like you may have had a leak/spill at one point, yes. Both of my batteries are in rubber carriers, with the lids on, to prevent such an incident. Especially important since the 24 could easily be touched by anyone using the head.

Re-doing the wiring is on my long todo list (which now includes replacing the alternator...sigh).

Image of my batteries above, with the top covers removed. Note that my second battery isn't wired into the boat yet (it's part of my upcoming wiring job).
Photobug

Post by Photobug »

Thanks for the info.

Are you not able to replace diods in the alternator?

How did you manage to add a photo to your post?

In a previous post you mentioned a table mine has none wher is yours? How is it mounted?
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

I bought a second alternator for now, and will replace the diodes in the original alternator to keep it as a spare. My second alternator is a rebuilt one from a tractor supply store, cost $60 or so on ebay. It even came with a little 'current output test' printout, which if it is to be believed states that this alternator rated for 35 amps, which actually put out about 50 amps above 4500rpm. So that's nice. I'll post info about the diode replacement on another thread (I have a 1GM10 questions thread for that). If you google search for '1gm10 service manual' you'll find a very helpful PDF document with details for every component of the motor -- including how to test the components of the alternator.

I added a photo by first uploading the image to imgbb.com, then copying the url of the hosted image and placing it between this board's 'img' tags (you'll see a 'picture' icon that looks like a little mountain, click that and it'll place img tags into the post, then just put the direct url of a jpg or png file).

My table has three mounting places:
First is the storage spot up in the v-bert, on the bulkhead wall that separates the v-berth from the head.
Second is two little mounting brackets for it in the middle of the cabin on the daggerboard (so, the two settees become seats that sit at the table).
Third is two little mounting brackets in the cockpit, on the inside of the cockpit right by the rudder.

I find that having the table mounted in the cabin is a little annoying -- there isn't much room in there to start with, having a table taking up all the space making pulling sails out that much harder.
Photobug

Post by Photobug »

Got it you have the built in motor, mine is an 9.9 outboard and the alternator output is supposedly between 6-8 amps so not much. 50 amps or even 35 amps would be nice. A built in diesel would make the boat more of a cruiser. I really like the space behind the stairs though.

No sign of any table on my boat. I did make a single piece triangle hatch board I used to install while i stripped and varnished the original boards. I am considering using this to make a table like you describe: with cockpit and settees placement, although I would try to come up with a mounting off the steps. I am wondering if yours is standard or a home built one? Not a lot of room in the boat, the table would easily get in the way.
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

My understanding is that the table, and the in-cabin mounting brackets, are standard. The mounting brackets are really just hooks, and will be on your centerboard trunk, quite low to the floor, visible as you walk down the companionway. I end up hanging keys on them most of the time.

I'm not sure if the cockpit mounting brackets were standard or not. They seem to be a super common modification if they are not standard.

The tables occasionally pop up for sale here. Just a few months ago someone posted that they would be willing to sell or preferably trade a table for a used #3 jib: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2016 . If you really want a table, you could always try and reach out to someone whose boat is for sale. There's only one way to find out if they'll part with a table for the right price :wink: . If you're missing the mounting brackets, I can't imagine it would be expensive to get a new pair fabricated.

And yeah, the inboard is kinda weird for these boats. People seem to prefer outboards for racing. Diesels seem a little more salty to me, reliable, less prone to vapor explosions...just have to watch out that algae doesn't grow in the fuel tank due to lack of using the motor enough!
Mebad

Post by Mebad »

Could you post a picture of the storage spot up in the v-bert, on the bulkhead wall that separates the v-berth from the head? I never considered using that space but it makes sense!
Photobug

Post by Photobug »

Look through the photos here for a pic of the forward storage compartment. I just spent part of this week working in there replacing my bow pulpit.

I think it would a good place to store bedding and maybe a duffel with clothes.
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

Here is the table mounted in the v-berth

And here is how it mounts in all three positions on my boat (there is one set of these hooks in the v-berth, one on the trunk as you walk into the head, and one in the cockpit at the back of the boat):

I'll try and get some measurements and details on the table itself, next time I'm at the boat.