Hull number 399 now mine, and home

If it doesn't fit elsewhere.....

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

SailingUphill

Hull number 399 now mine, and home

Post by SailingUphill »

Hull number 399, came with me home from the St. Paul area of MN.

Now she'll be sailing with me on Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
boat logs show she was originally "Running Dog." Then "Ellie May," most recently "Ragtime"

I am not a big fan of changing names without a substantial refit involved (and appropriate ceremony for change).

Running dog means something completely different to myself and my wife, as we were also field trialers and ran dogs from horseback and a "running dog" was a dog that required you to follow on horseback as they were too quick for foot handling. This was preferred as a horseback dog usually did well in national events. So I thought that connection interesting.

As stated earlier John sailing out of St. Croix sailing club had the boat before and he took very good care of the boat. I haven't sorted through all that came with the boat, but I will be giving her a very quick turn around and hopefully launch in a week or two.

Anyway I will be reaching out shortly to rejoin officially the association.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
SailingUphill

Re: Hull number 399 now mine, and home

Post by SailingUphill »

This was part of what I have been calling my moron trip.
Because I left 60 degrees in Virginia, and sunny to go to St. Paul MN to pick up hull #399, "Ragtime."
The paperwork with the boat states that she was formerly "Running Dog," and formerly "Miss Ellie."

Here she is at "Hooper's Yachts" when I looked her over before signing the paperwork (great people there by the way)
here she is taking up way to much space in a parking lot at a rest stop in WI.
Finally here she is sitting in my driveway (next to my driveway), after the quick 1200grit wet sand and wax (just port side so far)

This boat has been very dry and cared for. My big gripes (if I have any at all) are that the sails are old, circa 2004. They are great sails North 3dl, but still I think way more tired than should be. Its OK I look at the long game.

This post is mostly to test my ability to embed pictures from my own website. My hope is to rebuild my inventory of pictures again. It used to be some of the top pictures for Capri 22, Capri 25, S2 7.9 and C&C 32 on the net were hits to my own pictures. I'd like to get back to that.

I may start the thread over on repair/maintenance on this boat, as I have tons of little things that need done.
Examples: Forward hatch, crib boards need cleaned up and coated, crib keepers need replaced, the companionway hatch slides are rough (always are), the lifelines are garbage (will go synthetic), boat needs a swim ladder (I believe that to be a safety item), again little things.

I called it my moron trip, because all toll, I spent roughly $700 on fuel, drove 2100 miles over 4 days, half of that towing, and 3 really crappy overnight hotel stays JUST to get the boat. Not to mention about $32 in tolls, and endless fast food stops for dinner.

I don't drive that distance a lot, but it is remarkable how pretty this country is. Have to say ran into some super nice people along the way too. Everyone wanting to know where I sail (I guess the VA plates threw them off in the snowy North).

Anyway lets see how this posts out. If everything is according to plan "Ragtime" will be splashed in another week or so. I am presently waiting on another can of VC17m since my butter fingers dropped the 1 can I have on the ground, managed to only get 1 side painted.
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

Congrats on the pick-up! And funny, I was up in Minneapolis around MLK day doing some xc skiing. I decided to drive out to Hooper's on Sunday because I have never been. Of course it was closed and gates were closed and all that, but at least I know where it is now. They're the closest 'sailboat place' to us in Des Moines, as far as I know.

Anyway your boat looks really clean. Glad the trip was uneventful, even if it was long. Nothing worse than having a dead wheel bearing in Minnesota when it's 20 degrees out and it sounds like you avoided that. Looking forward to the updates and more photos!
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Hooper's was awesome, and frankly so was John, the prior owner.
Simply, Hooper's went over and repacked bearings, checked tires, and I think John actually fixed the lights on the trailer.

So it was uneventful because of the preemptive work they did.

Still a million things can happen so, I will still call myself greatful.
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

Sounds like the trip we took to bring ours home from Penticton BC, to Kent, Wa... F-350 with a slide in camper, my wife, daughter, and dog... ~14-1500 miles round trip, with 2 over nights. One in a Walmart parking lot in Omak, Wa, and another at a rest stop in Eastern Wa as we tried to avoid some forest fires.

I'd post some pics but board doesn't seem to allow it, and I don't have them hosted anywhere.

Looks like a well cared for rig!

Later
C
MNMAustin

Post by MNMAustin »

I guess other people consider these boats worth a bit of a road trip. I went to central Kansas last year to get hull #415. I brought it home to central Texas, Lake Buchanan. Just 1000 mile round trip, also uneventful. Sorry I couldn't load a picture.
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

MNMAustin wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:23 pm I guess other people consider these boats worth a bit of a road trip. I went to central Kansas last year to get hull #415. I brought it home to central Texas, Lake Buchanan. Just 1000 mile round trip, also uneventful. Sorry I couldn't load a picture.
For sure... They're not that common here in the PNW, so a road trip is all but guaranteed... for the PHRF to occasionally cruising category there really aren't any other comparable boats I can think of.

Later
C