2007 Championship Regatta

Results are official

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Tom Elsen
Site Admin

2007 Championship Regatta

Post by Tom Elsen »

We have a GREAT opportunity to have two events next year at the terrific Milwaukee Yacht Club. The S2 7.9 Class Association and MYC are looking at the possibility of hosting the MYC's Grand Prix Regatta, August 4 - 5, followed by the S2 7.9 Class Championship Regatta.

The MYC Grand Prix is a big-fun event, and at $75, it's as close to free as it gets. Running our CCR in Milwaukee would give us access to another one-design regatta. For those doing both, you'd get local experience. And Milwaukee is about as centrally located as possible for 7.9ers. Menominee 3 hrs. Holland MI 4 hrs, Minneapolis 5 1/2, Louisville & Detroit 6, Nashville 9.

PLEASE let me know what you'd prefer:
OPTION A "In Conjunction"
Run the S2 7.9 CCR in conjunction with the MYC G-P, but on a separate course. Note: The 7.9s would need 3 days of CCR racing so we'd need to schedule either a Fri, Sat, Sun event or a Sat, Sun, Mon event.
Pro argument: More sailors = More fun at MYC
Cons: Hard to find local crew; Separate course spreads RC very thin; It's one regatta not two.

OPTION B "Immediately Following"
Run the S2 7.9 CCR Mon, Tue Wed following the MYC Grand Prix. We'd get five days of racing in at a great venue.
Pros: Using the MYC G-P as the local pre-7.9 CCR give everyone a better handle on local conditions.
Cons: Not great for those who want to do only the 7.9 Championship. A Mon-Tue-Wed regatta is a lot more time off work.

OPTION C "Back-to-Back Weekends"
Do the MYC G-P on Sat / Sun, August 4 - 5. Leave the boats, mast-up on trailers in the lot. Then run the S2 7.9 CCR Thrs, Fri, Sat...OR....Fri, Sat, Sun (no start after 12:30) of the FOLLOWING weekend.
Pros: Two regattas w/ minimum time off work. Local crew available for our CCR.
Cons: An extra Milwaukee round trip of driving.

DISCLAIMER: I can't promise anything at this point. These are just preliminary talks.

PLEASE VOTE for option "A", "B" or "C". If you vote for B or C, would you also do the MYC G-P event and leave your boat? Let me know what you think.
Best wishes,
Tom
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I vote for option C and I would only be able to do the CCR.
Jeff, Skyhawk #250
Check out the Horizon True Camera Mounts for video taping on board while racing! www.horizontrue.com
bernoulli

Post by bernoulli »

I vote for "B". I like the idea of a weekend of practice before the main event.

:arrow: :arrow: Hey Mike, just to clarify, option 'B' would mean four days off work for you guys. That would be 5 days for most others with a longer drive home. Is that still your preference? Or would option 'C' be better? One day off work for you guys. Regattas on consecutive weekends. (Leave the boats mast up on trailers in Milwaukee between the events.)
Tac Boston 44

Post by Tac Boston 44 »

I vote for A or B. Keep it condenced so that people are in and out as quick as possible.

One question. Why bother with Milwaukee? Why not just go back to Racine. We know what it is like there, they do a great job and the conditions are know. I have not sailed in Milwaukee so I have no idea what it is like in August.

(Not sure if people care but the weekend of the 10-12 is a bad weekend for me also. I know that I am not the class but it overlaps with another important regatta)
bernoulli

Post by bernoulli »

Tom, After thinking about your comments on the number of vacation day's needed do the event, I think that option C would be better.
sycmcsa

Post by sycmcsa »

Option A. YES - more boats, more sailors = more fun.

B = Too long, too much time off. Not that I mind, but my crew would.

C = Back to back weekends would never work for out of towners, or boats that travel in from a long distance.
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

I would vote for either "C" or "B". Although "A" maybe a better SOCIAL regatta, I don't think we would want to be sharing a race course with other classes for our CCR. You could get tacked on by a J-30 or some class boat, and get screwed for the CCR. I beleive that this is our Class Championship, and we should be on our own course sailing against only boats in our class. If we want to have option "A", we could show up at any of the NOOD regattas and have our CCR. I would also agree with Tac on Racine. Great location, and they were great hosts in 2005.
Paul Latour

CCR 2007

Post by Paul Latour »

IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE: C > B > A

Paul Latour
sycmcsa

Post by sycmcsa »

Why would even consider back to back weekends??

Is this to be locals only type event or truly a Class Championships open to all 7.9 racers regardless of where or how far they must drive to attend. Sure back to back weekends are no big deal if you live in the general area.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: There are two regattas. If you want to do one and only one, no problem.

I guess I don't care when or where it's run just as long as its one series of races over 2-4 consecutive days, but do not care to drive 18 hours/per weekend two weekends in a row!

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: (See Above) Two Regattas
OPTION C "Back-to-Back Weekends"
Do the MYC G-P on Sat / Sun, August 4 - 5.
Leave the boats, mast-up on trailers in the lot.
Then run the S2 7.9 CCR Thrs, Fri, Sat...OR....Fri, Sat, Sun (no start after 12:30) of the FOLLOWING weekend.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

The CCR would be the second weekend, the way I understand it. If you choose to sail the first weekend to get in some good practice, that would be up to you. Jeff Moots, Skyhawk #250
Check out the Horizon True Camera Mounts for video taping on board while racing! www.horizontrue.com
spike

2007 ccr

Post by spike »

What happened to the Nashville option?
They have 12 boats there now. That has got to be the biggest fleet.
spike

Post by spike »

disregard last post. thanks
Paul Tobias

Brew City!

Post by Paul Tobias »

Milwaukee? I'm there in a minute! Or three hours by water from Racine. I'd vote C, B, A.

Lots to do there (plenty of pubs and good eats - may I plug the Ale House?), Milwaukee Yacht Club, on the south side of the bay, newly remodeled South Shore Yacht Club - friendly people, big city fun with small town hospitality and realistic prices.

Name the date and I'll book my vacation time!
sjpike

2007 CCR

Post by sjpike »

Any dates or location yet?