mast step and header compressing

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

motomorrelli

mast step and header compressing

Post by motomorrelli »

I have what I think is a 7.9 or 8 meter boat. It is a 1975 and have been told that they redesigned the mast support system shortly after this years production. I just became aware of this issue. My problem is not that the deck is weak and soft, It is quite strong. My issue is that these boats were not designed with a compression post but rather a header face bolted to the bulkheads ( head/ salon and closet / salon bulkheads) They did not have any type of jack stud ( pardon the construction terminology) Over the 38 years of sitting, Sailing, blowing and bobbing around in the water the deck has began to settle around the mast. Going down below the 2 screws they used to face bolt the header to the " cornboard" and laminate covered bulkheads are deflecting . The whole thing has dropped 1/4 inch. My plan is to termporarely support the mast make a new header out of something way stronger than original, Perhaps Ironwood or even oak. Jack that into place and install 1"stainless jack posts under each end.....corners of head and closet. any thoughts?
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Re: mast step and header compressing

Post by Tim Bosma »

what's your hull #?
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
Stef

Re: mast step and header compressing

Post by Stef »

Doubt it's a 7.9. S2 started them in 1982. Probably an 8.0. There is one in my marina. Guy purchased it because I had an S2 and he wanted to go fast. Not all S2's are fast, as he quickly found out. Way too much freeboard on the 8.0. I'm pretty sure he has the same issue as you, but he's not doing anything about it!
Stef
Odyssey #146