New member/boat intro

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Brett U

New member/boat intro

Post by Brett U »

Hey all!

I'm the proud new owner of hull #516, now named Sidetracked (because I really have other stuff I should be doing).

ImageIMG_20200407_144130807 by Brett Unks, on Flickr

I found her in a barn under a tarp. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been in the water for 23 years. The last registration expired in 1997! The previous owners got her when they purchased the farm and don't know anything about the history of the boat. Do any of you?

ImageIMG_20200430_133232234_HDR by Brett Unks, on Flickr

The boat seems as solid as she was exceptionally filthy. Rodents had made a home in every nook and cranny, even in the mast! Cleanup is coming along nicely, though the kids still say it stinks down below. :?

ImageIMG_20200430_133211940 by Brett Unks, on Flickr

I'm thinking of trying to raise the mast in my driveway next week. The write-up you guys have on the main page seems awesome. Any other tips for a first-timer?

Beyond the mast, my concerns are the centerboard and the through-hulls for the sounder and knotmeter. What should I be checking before the big splash? Anything else that should be keeping me up at night?

I'm in Madison on Lake Mendota and hope to put the boat in the water at the end of May. No immediate racing plans, but I do race with the Hoofer Sailing Club. If any of you are ever in the area, I hope you'll get in touch.

This looks like a great community. You've already provided a TON of information and help. I'm looking forward to participating.
Jameso

Re: New member/boat intro

Post by Jameso »

Congratulations, great looking boat. The mast is relatively easy to step, the important thing is to keep the mast centered amidships on it’s way up. We use three people and 8’ section of 16’ extension ladder. Lash the ladder to the stern pulpit. Walk the mast back so that it is sitting on the top rung of the ladder, Pin the base of the mast, secure the spin and jib halyard to bowstem. Once your ready to raise, Tie a long line to the forestay and have a person on the ground walk back with the forestay pulling the mast up, one person keeps the mast centered the other takes up the slack on the halyard. This allows you hold the mast up if you heed to clear a snag and helps keep it centered. Once up, Tighten the halyard until you can pin the forestay. On the way up the shrouds can hang on the secondary winches, try to pre-clear them, also make sure that the toggle saddles for your shrouds at the base are taped together and leaning inboard. If they are outboard it will deform the housing. Good luck.
Brett U

Re: New member/boat intro

Post by Brett U »

Thanks Jameso! The tips are much appreciated. I'll probably give it a go this weekend and will post photos of either a successfully raised mast or a twisted pile of aluminum and fiberglass. :P