Chicago Mac

Post details and contact personnel for regattas & other sailing events.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

J.D. Kloss

Chicago Mac

Post by J.D. Kloss »

I just read on Sailing Anarchy that the CYC's new rules prohibit boats with "stability indices" of less than 103 from participating. That rules out J30s among others. Would it affect 7.9s as well? (not that I ever expect to be sailing in such cold water ever again).

Jim Kloss
s/v Ambivalence
S2 7.9 #8
Tac Boston

Re: Chicago Mac

Post by Tac Boston »

The 7.9 is too short to sail the race. Also I would bet the answer is yes it would otherwise dsq it.
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Elsen »

Hey Jim. This is an interesting question.....worth a little speculation. I've not seen a new STIX rating for our boats.
As a guess, it looks like we'd be close to that 103.
There are a bunch of centerboard boats currently rated, and they do no seem to suffer a huge hit.
But that said, those like the Hinkley or the Stevens are not true daggerboard boats.
The J30 and Antrim 27 guys are kicking up a bit of stink about the Mac Race.
Those are rated ~ 99.5 and 93.7

My best guess, base partly on the limit of positive stability ratings (ours is a lot better),I think the 7.9 rating would come out considerably better than the J24. The only STIX rating on that boat I could find for the J24 is 97, with the J22 coming in at 101.8

A further guess, and it's just that, is that we'd rate somewhere in the zone of the following:
better than a Moore 24 @ 102.3
not as good as a Mariah 27 @ 110.8 or a Laser 28 @ 107.8
maybe in the region of a J80 (those have pretty low freeboard, but probably a little better cg) at 105.7

But then again who knows. A T10 rates 128.3. And off the wind in a blow.....in that thing.......YEEEEOOOWWWW! PFD please.

Darn near like St Croix up here yesterday. 60F on the last day of January!
Best wishes,
Tom
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Elsen »

The speculation regarding the STIX might be fun.
But Tac is right about the Mac. (No surprise there.)
The race has a min LOA requirement of 26'. We miss by an inch.
Best wishes,
Tom
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

We will not be using a stability rating for the Wooden Shoe Regatta in June. Just the usual Class Rules.

I have a S2 7.9 Events web site under development for this years events. Check it and let me know how you think it can be made better.

Thanks,
http://hottamaleracing.com/s279events/
Cheers!
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477