2011 Annapolis NOODs April 29 - May 1

Post details and contact personnel for regattas & other sailing events.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

bwelden_395

2011 Annapolis NOODs April 29 - May 1

Post by bwelden_395 »

Peregrine will be going down to MD once again. Anyone else?

Kudos to the fleet for getting 10 boats to St. Pete this year. Sadly, Annapolis is the only event we are likely to travel to, but we do love this event. The timing is perfect as it is just before the regular season starts (at least for those of us that sail where the snow flies), the racing has been great, and the social activities (not the official NOOD ones) are better. Hope to see y'all down there.

Bart Welden
Peregrine
TravisYates

Re: 2011 Annapolis NOODs April 29 - May 1

Post by TravisYates »

Hey Bart,
Missed you in St. Pete. It was a great event in terms of people and to some extent the weather. I had a fantastic time meeting the class and getting to sail against some great folks whom I hope to sail with more in the future. My crew and I plan on making it to Annapolis with Indigo. Look forward to meeting you and seeing a double digit + turnout for the event. There was a great deal of chatter down here for getting to Maryland.
Best,
Travis

Indigo #50
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

Registration is open, and we are at 1 and counting. Rebel is on the board, who will be next??

The Prez.
John Spierling
bwelden_395

Post by bwelden_395 »

Peregrine is now registered. We are up to 3 and counting...
bwelden_395

Post by bwelden_395 »

I will be renting a house in Eastport right around the corner from the Boatyard and I am willing to host a S2 welcome reception Thursday evening. If any of the boats racing are interested post a reply and I will provide details. Or if anyone has any other thoughts for Class(less?) social activities say the word.

Bart Welden
Peregrine
rogerdgamache

Post by rogerdgamache »

Bart - Thank you for the offer. What can the rest of us do to make the event happen? See you in Naptown.
bwelden_395

Post by bwelden_395 »

Question: do people thoughts or preferences regarding having a get together Friday night vs. Thursday night?
Thursday was my first thought but I am flexible if others think Friday may be better for any reason.

Plan on a BYO, bbq type thing.

FYI: 9 boats registered now, should be great racing!

Bart Welden
Peregrine
TravisYates

Post by TravisYates »

Bart,
Thanks for hosting. No preference from my boat yet we may be more social on Friday after a day on the water. Keep me in the loop and if you have any top tips for launching and dockage I would greatly appreciate it. All my sailing in Annapolis was done in college and was sailed out of Navy so I am very limited in knowledge of the YC's and other docks.
Best,
Travis
travisdyates@gmail.com
Indigo #50
bwelden_395

Post by bwelden_395 »

Launch at Truxton Park in Annapolis. Good, cheap ramp, probably half the fleet will be there Thursday afternoon.
One option for a slip is City Marina. It is a little pricey but very convenient. If anyone else knows of other options please chime in.
If you have never been to Annapolis before, the Boatyard Bar and Grill is where you want to go, great sailing bar.

Bart Welden
Peregrine
fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

Post by fleck »

Wow I feel really bad the its taken me this long to put up a post for the NOOD. Been just a bit busy and I don't get to keep up the any of the sailing forums.

I have a Google map with key spots in Annapolis. The link is at the bottom.

Ramp: Truxton Park has a great ramp. Was redone 2 years ago (that's another story). No other classes use it so its not very busy. Previous years we've left the trailers there but since I don't live there I couldn't tell you if anything has changed. If you can keep the trailer at your hotel, I'd recommend that.

Dockage. There is a condo, Presidents Point, that we've used in the past. Last year the charged us 40 a night. We've been told that we can probably get space there but the 'dock master' won't be back in town until April 18 to confirm space. Presidents Point is only for dockage. No loud parties. If you're quite, I don't think they would have a problem if someone slept on the boat. But officially, the answer is no.

As a backup, our ex-crew (she bought a Melges 24) and long time friend, Catherine, has a new property 'up' the creek from Truxton that has dockage/raft-up space. We're planning to keep Horizon there and she says there's a bunch of room for more boats. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the dock (or the property) or been there by water. She recently put a Pearson 38 at the dock and had no trouble getting in. I've looked at aerial photos on Bing and by the size of the neighbor's boats and I don't think there will be a problem. Annapolis is 3hrs away for us so I can't easily 'stop by' to check it out. Sorry. I added this to the Google map and include an aerial images link below.

As far as other choices...We've 'rafted' at AYC but they always frown upon (officially said no) a non-club class getting in the mix. I've never used City Docks but they are nice, and convenient to downtown. We've used Eastport Yachting Center, they're a bit cheaper and closer to the course. There are many other but Horizon is a creature of habit, find a cheap place and go there each time.

I don't know it Cat is planning one of her famous parties at her house in Eastport. But, I'm pretty sure the fire pit will be operational at least one of the nights. If you smell a wood fire when walking between Davis' Pub and the Boatyard, its probably Cat's house. I said Cat's house not Cat House. I've never seen her kick out a sailor. I'll post if there is going to be something more 'organized'.

If anyone has any questions, or if you are interested in rafting at Cat's dock, feel free to call (if you have the number-PM me if you dont'), or PM (email is also fine).

Were planning to leave Deltaville VA Thursday morning and get to Naptown around noon.

See you all soon.
Annapolis NOOD map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 8&t=h&z=14

Aerial of Cat's dock:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qgv1mb ... ORM=LMLTCC
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
Bruce Baker

Post by Bruce Baker »

I'd love to crew on somebody else's boat in the NOODs. I think my team is a year away from going head to head with you all.

Cheers,
Bruce Baker
GIT-R-DONE
PAULLAT

Post by PAULLAT »

bwelden_395 wrote:I will be renting a house in Eastport right around the corner from the Boatyard and I am willing to host a S2 welcome reception Thursday evening. If any of the boats racing are interested post a reply and I will provide details. Or if anyone has any other thoughts for Class(less?) social activities say the word.

Bart Welden
Peregrine

LATOUR WANTS DETAILS PLEASE.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Odyssey will be there. This is our first NOOD. Also our first road trip. We are a bit nervous, getting more nervous as the date approaches, at least I am.
We are still receiving snow here in north eastern PA.. Real cold too, 24F this morning. You guys in Mich. need to stop sending it this way. Warming temps this weekend, so hopefully uncover the boat and get started.
We are shooting to arrive Wednesday the 27th. Any one else?
Stef
Stef
Odyssey #146
bwelden_395

Post by bwelden_395 »

S2 7.9 ANNAPOLIS NOOD PARTY

When: FRIDAY, April 29, any time after 6:00 PM

Where: 426 Third St, Eastport (Third St is one block past the Boatyard Bar and Grille)

What: BBQ, Beers, Socialize, Share War Stories

Please bring your own beer, burgers, dogs, or whatever your flavor. I am traveling from out of town as well so am not in a good position to do the full shopping for all, hence the BYO. I will have snacks and some drinks, fixin's and condiments, desserts and treats, but if you would bring your own main course that would be great.

Note that this will be FRIDAY night. I had originally mentioned Thursday but decided to move it out a day.

If you are going out for dinner somewhere else, stop by after for a drink or two.

Please reply if you think you will show up so I have a rough headcount.

Looking forward to meeting the fleet!

Bart Welden
Peregrine 395
rogerdgamache

Post by rogerdgamache »

Bart:

Thank you for organizing this. You can count on Matros for approximately 5 for cocktails (not sure what dinner plans are... with our group probably won't know then either...). Looking forward to getting back on the water.

Roger.