Winter Scheduling - Regatta Participation

Post details and contact personnel for regattas & other sailing events.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

rogerdgamache

Winter Scheduling - Regatta Participation

Post by rogerdgamache »

I am proposing a serious discussion on this blog and at the Equalizer regarding people's commitments to Florida regattas for 2015. Each one of us has multiple responsibilities and opportunities that impact our decision of whether and how we participate in these events. From my personal POV racing south has been a very enjoyable, family-oriented experience. However the trend over the past few years has been diminishing participation. At this time, my personal feeling is that last year was the minimum fleet size sufficient for me to justify my investment of the time, talent and treasure necessary to participate (approximately 10 boats at each event). I am stating this not be be ciritical or negative but rather to highlight a issue that we as people who have invested in the class need to address.

What can we do?

1. For those of us who are likely to attend - register early, so the rest of us know you are coming.
2. Recruit within your fleets. If our "core" fleets each bring 1 more boat, we'd be at the 15 boat level, where the racing becomes more fun for everyone.
3. Encourage "unaffiliated" boats, particularly those left in Florida to come and try one-design sailing. Perhaps we extend the "silver fleet" concept to these events.

I am sure that others have great ideas to contribute to this discussion... now is the time to express them!!!
Mark Gutteridge

Re: Winter Scheduling - Regatta Participation

Post by Mark Gutteridge »

Roger and friends;
I agree if we get into the process early enough we can figure out two doable events in the south.
This year I was thinking of doing the St petes nood and the Sarasota regatta. But if Sarasota is now off the table weS2 off the beach this year and don't have to rebuild the cenerboard.
Guts
Mark Gutteridge

Post by Mark Gutteridge »

wow that post got screw up.
I meant that if Sarasota is now off the table we need to talk about it so we can do our planning. I will see you in Nashville. I kept the S2 off of the beach this last few races. I don't have to rebuild the centerboard this fall.
rogerdgamache

Post by rogerdgamache »

The 11 boats registered for the Equalizer can have a great discussion regarding the winter schedule. What we will be missing from our conversation is the other boats that tend to participate. Would like to hear from Bob Fleck and his friends from Ohio, and hopefully some boats from Lake Erie and the East Coast.

I get the feeling that Sarasota would welcome us back, although we have lost most of our "local" connection with Travis leaving our class. The logistics are a little more difficult (storing boats / cars/ airfare etc).

It looks like Pensacola YC runs the "Intergalactic Keelboat Regatta" on the weekend after the NOOD. Last year it was two classes ... Tripp 26 and Ultimate 20. This has the advantage of being on the way home, and the disadvantage of being possibly 15 degrees colder (but also possibly good breeze). This would support our new fleet member.

This post has had a number of views, but only Gutsy weighing in... Is anybody out there????
critical

Post by critical »

Won't Sea U this winter - ski season ...
Looking forward to Nashville tho'

Claudio Martin
I Sea U
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

Rebel plans on doing St. Pete and Sarasota or Pensacola (whatever the class decides). Also, planning on doing Annapolis in May.
Look forward to a discussion in Nashville.

John Spierling
John Spierling
Rob Jossart

Post by Rob Jossart »

I will not make it for 2015, but I find myself thinking about sailing during the winter and I am very interested in planning and attending in 2016 if there are enough other boats interested in attending.
Would be great if there was a group effort or guidance on working out logistics to attend Nashville in October and then storage of boat and transporting to Florida and Florida Storage in between regattas, etc...
I'm not sure if guys have just trailered back and forth or if there is a list of resources for such things as storage or transportation companies to use as a guide for those that haven't coordinated this effort before?

Rob Jossart
Navigator
czitelli

Post by czitelli »

Being new to the ownership and skippering role; we will be easing into the travel portion of class racing with Ripple. I will be in St Pete on Al's boat. I hope to be in Michigan for the CCR. It is our goal to get Ripple and crew up to speed to go to Nashville this year. Next year is not on my planning radar yet.
Southern Gales

Post by Southern Gales »

I know of 4 boats along the west coast of Pinellas county and I am trying to get them back into OD racing. I bought the S279 on the hopes to participate in more OD instead of PHRF racing. I plan to support the beautiful S279 class in Florida for years to come. I live just north of Clearwater and will be able to store at least one, perhaps two other S2's on the side of my house after this race season. I plan to race in Nashville, Annapolis and Florida regattas. Let me know how I can help this class. I will be racing the Ensigns in a few weeks at the St. Pete NOODs and will stop by the S2 dock to say hi.
~Chris
Southern Gales

Post by Southern Gales »

I'm here to support the class ANYWHERE in Florida. Let's pick a time and place (in Florida) that promotes maximum turn out and I will help support the regatta as much as needed. Folks, we have versatile class, let's get the boats together.
1) What are some of the clubs in the Carolinas that harbor S2's?
2) When's the best time and place for the Great Lakes aces to travel to Florida?
I was a member of a motorcycle forum that had a poll option. It would be nice to collect some data to see what our members want. For instance: where is your home port and what is the greatest distance you are willing to travel for a 1 day, 2 day, 3 day regatta?
Disclaimer: Anywhere but the lakes around Orlando :)
~Chris
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

Who is coming to Sarasota Mid Winter Regatta?? Alzyk, Straight Up, and Rebel are all down in Florida and are in for sure. Who else is coming??? Register on Regattatech website.
John Spierling
Tac Boston

Post by Tac Boston »

John, I think you meant regatta network. Here is a link.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/9368
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

Yes, that is the link.
Thanks Tac.
John Spierling
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

Deadline for early entry for Sarasota One Design regatta is March 3, after March 3 there is a $25 late fee.
John Spierling