Interior trim & OD Rules

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

sycmcsa

Interior trim & OD Rules

Post by sycmcsa »

OD Rules question

Would it be legal to add 1-3/4" x 3/16" battens to trim out the hull sides on the interior? As I read the rules it would since they allow "any type of cabinetry" and hull would not be left as bare fiberglass. This would not add any strength or stiffen then hull in any way but I want to double check first (if it did, then the hull has major problems!!). I would use dry cedar (very light) and coat it with Sitkins varnish to create a teak-like look.

Kinda like this (but only the hull in sides)

dave

Post by dave »

If you decide to go to all of that trouble, make sure to first rebed your lifeline stanchions and tighten all accessible nuts that run around the inside of the hull/deck joint. Condensation will cause water droplets to form on the SS fitting and drip down the sides EVEN IF there are no leaks, staining the bejesus out of your beautiful new wood, unless you have a 24/7/365 dehumidifier inside. Damp Rid work pretty well too but I hate the "laundry detergent" odor and you still need to keep the inside of the boat relatively warm because warm air holds more water vapor than cold, making it easier for the Damp Rid to do it's job.
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Elsen »

You'll have no problem from the class rules on this.
Best wishes,
Tom
sycmcsa

Post by sycmcsa »

Tom Elsen wrote:You'll have no problem from the class rules on this.
Thanks Tom!