outcome of general Class meeting?

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

outcome of general Class meeting?

Post by Tim Bosma »

will someone please update us ont he outcomes (if any) of the general class meeting?
Thanks,
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
Mark Gutteridge

Post by Mark Gutteridge »

Tim;
One of the proposals , that I proposed, was to eliminate the 720 penalty.
It was adpopted for the CCR in nashville. It will however have to be ratified by the class as a rule change. You will see in the future a complete proposal for a rule change soon.
Jeff Pawlowski , who is a great asset, has been suggested as the Vice President.As of now the position is vacated.
There was a overwhelming agreement that a formal NEWSLETTER should be resurected.
I know that I have missed many things.
Jean Bergman acted as sectretary and I know she captured all of the minutes of the meeting.
I suspect our PRESIDENT,Tom who loves us all, will publish the minutes for all our members to digest and respond in a thoughtfull and timely manner.
Chimo;
Guts #448.
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Mark,
Our Weds night races have adopted a 360 in place of a 720 and it has worked very well. Within our 7.9 fleet, a 360 is enough of a penalty to drop you back 2 or 3 places, a 720 would put you dead last.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
dave

Post by dave »

With all due respect to any and all........................... that's kind of the point! The 720 was put into the rules to allow someone who had committed a foul to have some other option besides retiring from the race. Fouling someone SHOULD carry more than the possibility of loosing 2-4 boats!!!!! :shock:

It's the SECOND tack and jibe when you are down on speed that REALLY is the penalty!!!!!!!! The first is nothing more than taking a bad shift for 15-20 seconds. If everyone has the option of pushing the limits of safety and good judgement by only having to do one tack and one jibe, safety and good judgement will pay the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

We all make mistakes. I've been racing boats since 1976 and still screw up occasionally and commit a foul, but I for one would probably push the limits a little more and take a few more risks if I knew that I only had to do one tack and one jibe...........................................................
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

my point was that, in the racing I do on a 7.9, a 720 is the same as retiring from the race.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
dave

Post by dave »

Tim, again with all due respect, I totally disagree. The last season that I sailed the 7.9 here at our club was 3 seasons back. It's a PHRF fleet that at the time had 2 other 7.9's, a handful of J24's, a couple of J80's, a J27, etc. One race day in about 10-15 knots of breeze I was OCS AND fouled a boat on the line. We restarted AND did a 720 and still not only won the race on time but also boat for boat! I have done the same thing before in my old cat racing days and they tack and jibe MUCH slower than the 7.9. I'm not trying to blow my own horn, just stating the facts. A 720 is NOT even close to the equivalent of retiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once more.......................... a 720 is supposed to be a PENALTY, not a minor slap on the wrist that may cost you 30 seconds, give or take. :wink:
JP

Post by JP »

Hello- I'm a bit short on time this morning but wanted to chime in quickly to say that the USAA in 2009 will be adopting the 360 penalty turn rule on incidents that occur outside of the 3 boat length mark circle (I don't have the full rule language at hand but I'm sure it will be posted in the minutes for class members to see soon). This rule has been beta tested in OD fleets this year and has had good results/feedback from what the owners learned at the Nashville Owners meeting.
Jeff Pawlowski
dave

Post by dave »

That sounds more reasonable.................................................. BUT................................ then you will have folks in the protest room bickering about whether it was 3 boats lengths or 2!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

Post by fleck »

But, at least they won't be in the room trying to talk their way out of a simple P/S foul they know the committed.
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
dave

Post by dave »

I really don't think that the new way will change that much, but I hope to be proven wrong..................................

Leopards don't often change their spots! 8)
JP

Post by JP »

Dave- I don't see much change if any from the sailors. I also don't recall hearing about a 360 turn occurring in Nashville with 21 boats on the pond. I think its a good change and allows the faulted team to keep their head in the game.
Jeff Pawlowski
dave

Post by dave »

Like I said, I'd rather be wrong than right but I'll believe it when I see it. 8)