2009 Rules Changes Final Draft

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

dave

Re: 2009 Rules Changes Final Draft

Post by dave »

Who said anything about politics?

You have your view and I have mine and neither will likely change. You asked for opinions........................... I would hope that you wouldn't become testy if you don't see what you like! :shock:

I have no idea of your sailing experience on a FS but comparing it and a laser is like comparing a skateboard and a vehicle: they both can turn, one just WAY faster than the other!!! I can do a 720 in a laser in the said wind conditions in about 15 seconds. The FS weighs 900+ lbs and has a flat plate rudder that just stalls when you turn it too hard and flat plumb bow and handles like a pig with a broken leg!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: That limits the turning radius and speed. Just as on the 7.9, it's the second down speed turn that gets you because the faster you do the last turn the more speed loose and you come out of the whole thing almost dead in the water and then have to reaccelerate. The 7.9 at least HAS enough weight and momentum and efficient blades to keep you moving through the turns if done well.....................................................................and I might add that 720 practice never hurt anyone!

I'll say no more on this except that those very few others who have answered this question have agreed with me on the issue. I'm done arguing about it, with all due respect.
Mark Gutteridge

Post by Mark Gutteridge »

Hello;
I for one am in favour of the one turn penalty as written.I was the one that proposed the discussion and vote at the CCR last fall in wonderfull Nashville. It seemed to me that it was more importantant to be on the right side of the shift and sail clean than it was to hope that somebody fouled you and had to make TWO turns.
This rule does not take the burden off of a crew or skipper to sail clean.
As for the mention of lee bowing being a thing of the past I disagree. Ask The crew of Relentless if it affected their regatta last year in Nashville.
I don't go out of my way to lee bow anybody unless they have initiated the manouver first.I would sooner duck and try to get to the correct side of the course.
Have a good day. It seems summer has finally arrived in the Great White North.
Chimo;
Guts ,Hunting Party # 448.
dave

Post by dave »

I agree about the lee bow part, people need to remember why they might even want to consider doing it: If you are thinking about it as a macho man ego move to screw the other guy, the whole thing is pointless. IF you think that the other tack is the way to go because you had been crossing the on coming boat but got a knock and you want to force the other boat to the wrong side of the course, then it can be and is a very wise move when done correctly.
thenewsp@yahoo.com

Post by thenewsp@yahoo.com »

was the roller furling approval finally passed-in rules it states "any type of head foil is allowed"but doesn't specifically mention roller furling-in short ,is roller furling allowed in s2 7.9 events?
thanks Peter New #461 crime scene