Roller Furling Headsails

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

normbue

Roller Furling Headsails

Post by normbue »

Do the class rules allow Them? As I sail short handed a lot it would be a lot easier
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Re: Roller Furling Headsails

Post by Tim Bosma »

Norm,
I don't see anything in the rules that prohibits a rollerfurling headsail. It would be treated as a headfoil for measurement purposes and the rule 2.5.B.1 states "2.5.B.1. Maximum width for headfoil extrusions is .125 feet, (1 1/2 inches)."
I think this would be the radius of the roller extrusion, 1.5" from the headstay to the outer edge.
This is my humble (and somewhat reasoned) opinion, please write/email to ChrisCraig from the Class web site for a more official ruling.
Thanks,
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
normbue

Post by normbue »

Thanks, That's the way I interpreted it too. By the way, I thought I read that you are in fleet one? If so. I have #92, and some of the sails are marked Schell, flleet one, 1982. Does it ring any bells?
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Norm,
Yes, We are in Fleet#1 and enjoy having 9-10 boats for our Weds night series. Fleet captain this year is Scott Derby (#538). Schnell was in the fleet in the 80's, but Hot Tamale (#477) came in '94, so i don't remember the boat.

Fair Winds!
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
normbue

Post by normbue »

This is old, but I found out that Tac Boston, at Boston Sail, remembers the boat as "Moch Schnell".
SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL »

Really "Mach Schnell," or "make fast(er)," or "make it quick?"

Great name!
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

If you're sailing PHRF you might get 3-6 seconds a mile for the furler.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Our club gives 1 point added to Portsmouth for roller furler. This does not apply if you pull out the sail and replace with regular sail on race day.

Less sail area, "mach langsam".

Good name for a Macgregor 26.
Stef
Odyssey #146