How do you get a class measurement certificate?

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

RobbieB

How do you get a class measurement certificate?

Post by RobbieB »

We're planning on going to do 1 or both FL events in Feb/March. Do we need a measurement cert for these? If so, how do we get one? We're in Charleston, SC.
RobbieB

Re: How do you get a class measurement certificate?

Post by RobbieB »

So 17 views in 3 days. Does that mean there are 17 others interested in how to get measured or 17 who have no interest in anyone else getting measured???
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

I personally was curious to see the answer... less than actually getting a cert myself. I figured they'd have a measurer at the next regatta.

I was interviewed to be class measurer for the Capri 25, and ultimately turned it down because it'd required me (at least initially) to travel to the regionals, and nationals each year. The Capri 25 fleet is I think larger, but the owners travel less than the S2 fleet does.

While this site isn't as active as it once was, generally the handful of people who DO frequent here give you pointed answers. Did you try Chris directly? chriscraig@s279.org
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Before the regatta the chair of the event sometimes has a scale for weight measurements. Paul Latour had one before the Equalizer in Nashville.

I believe the rules say if you don't have a weight certificate, you can race but should add 200 lbs of ballast (sand bags).
Stef
Odyssey #146
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Thank you for the answer Stef.

Quite often we get a scale in town for the J24's. Could we get a weight recorded from that and be ok?
Stef

Post by Stef »

I would ask Paul Latour. They would need to know what should be included and what's not.
Stef
Odyssey #146
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

Check out the class rules posted on the website. There is a complete section that details what can be on the boat when it is weighed. The scales that we are now using to weigh boats are very mobile, they are drive-up style in which the boat is weighed while on the trailer, and then the trailer is weighed separately to calculate the actual boat weight. We have been arranging to have them delivered to regattas where we have advance interest to having boats weighed.
If you do not have a certificate, boats are to carry 200# of weight under the stairs. Again, check out the rules section on the website, there is a complete list of what is acceptable to use while racing under class rules, and what is not.
For example: Genoa lead cars cannot be towable, must be plunger style. Allowable sails to be on board #1, #3, main, spinnaker, and back up spinnaker (#2 genoa so not allowed in class sanctioned events). Head stay length cannot be longer than 31'8" long. These are just a few examples.

John Spierling
Rebel 496
John Spierling
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Thanks John,

We have the class rules. Do the FL events require measurement certs? If so, I would hope we could find a way to be weighed before 2016.....

Really don't want to put 200lbs of sand under the stairs when we're proactively trying to get measured. #dogassslow....
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

I don't see why one of us northern boats can't bring the scales down to St. Pete. Generally we get a couple of boats from Michigan (hopefully more this year), the Louisville guys, and the some from Tennessee. One of us can arrange to get the scales there, and can handle the weighing.
John Spierling