rudder question

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

alanhsails

rudder question

Post by alanhsails »

The rudder on my boat is cracked. It's definitely repairable, which I'll be doing but I don't want to sail offshore with it. I have a quote from Phils Foils for a rudder which is exactly the same below the waterline as the class rudder, but is one-piece. It doesn't kick up and the whole structure should be significantly stronger. I don't need shallow-water capability, so I'll probably get this thing.

Not that it matters to me, but the next owner might want to know...would the class judges consider this to be One-Design compliant?
RobbieB

Re: rudder question

Post by RobbieB »

alanhsails wrote:The rudder on my boat is cracked. It's definitely repairable, which I'll be doing but I don't want to sail offshore with it. I have a quote from Phils Foils for a rudder which is exactly the same below the waterline as the class rudder, but is one-piece. It doesn't kick up and the whole structure should be significantly stronger. I don't need shallow-water capability, so I'll probably get this thing.

Not that it matters to me, but the next owner might want to know...would the class judges consider this to be One-Design compliant?
S2 also made a 7.9 model that had a mast head, double spreader rig with fixed keel and fixed rudder. The rudder looked a lot like a J24 rudder. Far more efficient than the stubby, kick up rudder the OD boats have. It took me a year of tinkering, (and one snapped off rudder offshore) to finally get the thing in it's proper down angle and stay secure through a day on the water.

With the rudder PROPERLY secure it won't kick up until I get back there with my set of tools to allow it to do so. People say, "well what happens if you run aground". My answer is, with the keel drawing a couple of feet more I'll more than likely be able to get off without the rudder ever touching. Which has actually happened twice now.

I highly doubt the class would consider yours OD compliant, but am all for a fixed rudder on this boat. Just make sure it's not on when you put the boat on the trailer as there's not enough clearance unless the wheel jack is all the way down and you have enough tongue weight to keep the bow down.
alanhsails

Post by alanhsails »

This past winter I was sailing the boat with a friend in the wee small hours of the morning. We got a bit disoriented and approached the harbor we were going to at quite the wrong angle. It took a while to figure it out and in the process of heading for deeper water in the channel went *bump* in the mud twice with the keel. I just winched it up 6 inches and we kept on going. 20 minutes later, no problem. Any rudder I'd get will be significantly shallower than the draft with the board down.

I'd love to see a picture of the fixed rudder on the model you mention. I knew they existed, just didn't know they had a fixed rudder.

About the one design part of it...well, this message has now been up here for nine days and nobody on any rules committee has bothered to respond so I suppose the question is pointless.
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

this site doesn't really reflect the activity of the OD class exclusively. I see a generous amount of posts on the facebook group.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I use to be on the rules committee, this would have to be looked at pretty close...the rudder will need to weigh in properly, and the standard rudder is around 60 lbs. You can PM Chris Craig for an official ruling. It would be best to have the standard rudder set up for one design racing. Jeff

chriscraig@s279.org
Check out the Horizon True Camera Mounts for video taping on board while racing! www.horizontrue.com
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

alanhsails wrote:This past winter I was sailing the boat with a friend in the wee small hours of the morning. We got a bit disoriented and approached the harbor we were going to at quite the wrong angle. It took a while to figure it out and in the process of heading for deeper water in the channel went *bump* in the mud twice with the keel. I just winched it up 6 inches and we kept on going. 20 minutes later, no problem. Any rudder I'd get will be significantly shallower than the draft with the board down.

I'd love to see a picture of the fixed rudder on the model you mention. I knew they existed, just didn't know they had a fixed rudder.

About the one design part of it...well, this message has now been up here for nine days and nobody on any rules committee has bothered to respond so I suppose the question is pointless.
I hear you Alan. Try inquiring about getting your boat weighed/measured for a class event.... What's interesting is the number of views a post can get and 0 replies/responses...
alanhsails

Post by alanhsails »

I've pretty much given up on the idea of a fixed, class-legal rudder and am now pursuing the idea of...basically....the simplest and strongest wood core rudder that I can make/get for the boat.

I suspect that fancy new elliptical rudders, etc may not impart *that* much improvement to the performance. However, a simple J-24 style rudder...but a.) balanced b.) larger chord length like 15 or 16 inches and c.) about as deep as the 1-D rudder should do the job. I'm talking to Custom Composites/Phils Foils about a rudder. There's also the outside chance that I'll laminate up the core myself, make some router templates and build it myself.

I'll keep the stock rudder assembly and if the day comes that I sell the boat, the new owner can put it on and go race with all of you.