#1 size

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

We get one season out of a genoa, racing 2 club races per week. We have had 3DL and more recent the Boston Doyle. Boston has the best sails for the 7.9 especially the genoa! If you are replacing the sail every year the panel seems just fine other wise the 4D (I think it is called) would be better I believe. Just my opinion. Jeff #250
Check out the Horizon True Camera Mounts for video taping on board while racing! www.horizontrue.com
Marionete

Doyle Boston

Post by Marionete »

The warm weather in MD has prompted me to drag the sails out of the coccoons to figure some of this out. Now, one needs to know that when I bought this "project" boat last April, I took a cursory glance at the sails to see that they were not a collection of tattered rags, and didn't know the relationship Spike or Doyle/Boston had to this class.

The genoa is a 4D built in March 2003 by the Boston Doyle loft! The prior owner titled the boat in 2005, so I suppose the sail was used in 2003 and 2004. The headboard is signed by Jason Tobias. PHRF sail number is 43281 of the PHRF Mid atlantic fleet.

We'll need to hoist it a few times in varying conditions to figure out how much life is left in it, but otherwise shows no signs of delamination, etc. Just a little salty from not being washe off last year.

Looking forward to a great 08 racing season.

Runaway
1983 #23
Annapolis, MD
Runaway
1982 #23
Spike Boston

Post by Spike Boston »

Rinse your D4 Genoa with lots of water to get rid of the salt. Let it dry on both sides and then look at it for any signs of wear. Many of our customers get much more than 1 year out of their D4's. Of course it depends on how much it was used and how it was cared for. How is the sail usually stored, folded or rolled.
On our 7.9 and our 30 ft we fold our. When we put the boat away for the winter we roll it.
Good Luch with your 7.9 it is a great boat and we have enjoyed both of ours.
Alice Boston