weight certificate

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

club car

weight certificate

Post by club car »

I would like to have my boat put on the scale.
were and what would i need to do this.
could i do this in annapolis befor the noods?
Or maybe in newport RI .
Barry Bessette
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Elsen »

Hey Barry

Will you please contact Bob Fleck (windward@cox.net) to see if he's weighing any of the fleet before the Annapolis NOODs this year? If so, we can arrange it there.

If not...we'll figure something. Here are the issues: 1) We obviously need a certified scale 2) We need a reasonably boat-smart, unbiased person to do the inspection prior to the weighing and to supervise the process. Not a big deal, just that the details matter. Where's the boat now?

GREAT to see that you're getting geared up for next season. You guys worked hard to overcome some 'first big regatta' hardships last year in Annapolis. Terrific! Hope that I'll be able to see you there in May.
Best wishes,
Tom
LarryE-old

Weighing

Post by LarryE-old »

Tom,
I am having my boat weighted a week from Monday.
They are weighing boats for IRC certs and have agreed to do my 7.9. I will have the check list and have the inspector check everything and sign off on it.
Hope that is enought as I am the only 7.9 in the area.

:arrow: :arrow: That should be fine Larry. Please have the inspector call me beforehand though.

:arrow: :arrow: I talked with your IRC inspector today. They've got a certified scale. Everything should be fine. Please get the inspection sheet to him early though.
Purr-Fect
club car

weight cert??

Post by club car »

Dear Tom
The boat is in cape cod .
The closest major sailing area is newport RI.
I would rather have the boat weighted before annapolis.
It's a tight scheduale before the race.

What is weighted with the boat and how much should it weight?
Barry[/url]
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Elsen »

Barry

If you can find somebody to weigh the boat in Newport (assuming that's your preference) I can help find somebody to do the inspection and sign the sheet. As I indicated, we'll need a certified scale though.

The inspection sheet and instructions are in the class rules. The last couple of pages.
Best wishes,
Tom
fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

Post by fleck »

Barry,

I’ll be more than happy to weight the boat in Annapolis. The catch is finding a place (I’m assuming Thursday before the NOOD) that is not too busy and won’t jack up the price. If I can make a good arrangement, probably with Muller Marine, I'll post let you and everyone else know. I'll also check around during the snow season for other options.

Tom,

Have we ever tried tire scales like they use on race cars? It would make logistics easier if we didn’t need a crane to weigh boats
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks Bob I'll wait for your post.
mike

Post by mike »

Is a wieght cert. required for the NOODSs? We are planning to race in our very first 7.9 one design in Annapolis this spring. This will be probably be our only 7.9 one design race in 2006, and I neglected to consider that we may need a wieght certificate. Could someone please confirm that the weight cert. is required? If it is, then could I be included in any plans for a wiegh-in prior to the Annapolis Noods?

Any comments would be appritiated!

Mike Nickens
#456 "SPEEDIE"
Barnegat Bay, New Jersey
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Elsen »

Could someone please confirm that the weight cert. is required? If it is, then could I be included in any plans for a wiegh-in prior to the Annapolis Noods?

Any comments would be appritiated!

Mike Nickens
#456 "SPEEDIE"
Barnegat Bay, New Jersey
-------------------------------------------------------------
Mike
Bob Fleck is the class rep for this regatta. Please contact him. He's never mentioned requiring a weight cert though.
However all competitors will certainly be required to be (current) class members and to carry the required ballast; that either the 200lbs or the amount indicated on your cert.
Best wishes,
Tom
fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

Post by fleck »

Mike,

Glad you are coming to Annapolis!

We are not requiring weight certs for the Annapolis NOOD. If you don't have a cert, you will be required to carry the 200 lbs for outboard boats, and 50 for inboard, as specified in the class rules.

If you want to get weighed, stay tuned for the details later in the spring.

If you have any questions about the Annapolis event, or 7.9 class rules don't hesitate to ask.
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
LarryE-old

Weighing

Post by LarryE-old »

Question,
If an outboard boat must weight 4600 lbs, without the outboard onboard, why would it matter what the outboard weights?
They ask for the weight on the cert.
Purr-Fect
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Elsen »

Because you can use the outboard as part of your ballast. Putting the motor weight on the cert saves the hassle of weighing it.
Best wishes,
Tom
LarryE-old

Weighing

Post by LarryE-old »

Another question,
If the boat weights 4600 lbs, as mine did, and my outboard weights 59 lbs, then I can sail without my cushions? -40 Lbs?
Purr-Fect
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Yes you may, but the cushions will need to be weighed at the event and only the number of cushions that add up to the motor weight (and the motor must match the cert. of course). will be allowed off. (Starting with the middle working out.)

My boat #250 is also over weight and my cushions weigh amost 80lbs total.

If I'm in error on this, please let me know! Jeff Mootz
Check out the Horizon True Camera Mounts for video taping on board while racing! www.horizontrue.com
LarryE-old

Cushions

Post by LarryE-old »

The way I see it is, if the boat and motor weight more than 4640, you can sail without the cushions.
If you take the cushions out, all together, you only add back 40 lbs.
Purr-Fect