New to forum

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

jdallstrungout

Draft

Post by jdallstrungout »

Thanks Jim,
That's what I had calculated. You have confirmed it for me. I've had similar experience with the kickup rudder. I have been communicating with my marina proprietor and there may be hope on the horizon for a permanent channel depth maintenence plan. I just needed the type of feedback you have given. Thanks again-You guys are great!-JD
Joel Doyle
yves springuel

Post by yves springuel »

I sail chesapeake which blesses with a soft bottom, however it's shallow especially at my pier and not quite as soft as one might think. When going out or comming in I do it with the rudder and board both fully up, I rigged a dinghy style rudder kick up controler and use it to show more blade as I get further out.
I found that churning the bottom with the martec prop was not a good idea so when the time came to replace it I went with a fixed one. (cruiser only, but thinking about racing, wonder what the penalty is) It has worked fine with one exception; that one not quite soft spot that cost me a second fixed prop.
It's not the most sailor way to do things, but after 7 years I have had no problem with alignment, shaft, cutlass or bracket.
Yves Springuel
Illusion
jdallstrungout

New boat-shallow water

Post by jdallstrungout »

Yves,
That is exactly the conditions affecting me. I sail Lake Ontario and my home port has a very shallow entry. Mostly sandbars from it's wide exit into the lake(storm blew out the western jetty back in '72 and government has deemed it of "no commercial value"). I have the same concerns about the Martec and have considered the a fixed repalcement. Good information! Thanks so much. Nice to know I wasn't alone with this issue.

Special note-I summered in the Chesapeake at my grandads cottage near Easton. Miss that fresh bluecrab!
Joel Doyle
fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

Post by fleck »

Yves,

Your PHRF rating would be 180 with the fixed prop. There is a 6 second/mi credit for fixed props.
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484