Class Molds

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

orion27

Class Molds

Post by orion27 »

Are the 7.9 molds still around? Thought about building some new boats.
I know an experienced and capable builder who is interested. What position would the class take on such a proposition? Who owns them now?
orion27

Post by orion27 »

Is it true S2 or Tiara yachts still own the molds?
BarryE

molds?$

Post by BarryE »

To the best of all knowledge S2 still has the molds, or whats left of them. I can't believe that they'd interested in selling. And I doubt that anyone would really want to build new 7.9's. It would be just too cost prohibitive, remember, S2 knocked off a few in the mid-90's and the cost was up over $40,000. What would it be today? $50-60+??
Boats being built in China (Tiger 10) and Bulgaria (Annapolis 30) can be bought for less, and offer 30 years of technical/performance improvement. Better if we all just do everything we can to keep our boats in top shape, and enjoy what we have.
hwpratt

Post by hwpratt »

Two questions:

(1) What happened to those mid-90's 7.9 boats?

(2) What would be so terrible about having the boats built in China or Bulgaria? If they could be certified as "one-design equivalent" wouldn't that be a really good thing for the 7.9 class? I know that the Tartan 10 re-do wasn't a resounding success, but the 7.9 is a design with more general appeal.

Comment: Consider the new Hunter 27X, 27' long, nominally 8000 lb. displacement (probably much less), sprit rig with assymmetrical spinnaker, and much slower (by PHRF) -- that's what you can get in a new mid-20's sized sloop these days that doesn't require 6 guys hanging out over slackened lifelines to be competitive. The 7.9 is just a hugely better sailboat than the 27X.

There's not much available new in the mid-20's size that is quick, raceable, trailable and has a cockpit that you can actually sit in comfortably.
Harrison Pratt
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

If someone had the time energy and money, and wanted to pursue this to the end, it could be done!

If there is a market for this design, (I believe there is). One should be able to presell a number of boats. I feel like S2 would build them again if they had a X amount of orders, but maybe not.

Someone has contacted S2 in the past to find out these details and maybe they will respond here.

Jeff Mootz, Skyhawk #250
Check out the Horizon True Camera Mounts for video taping on board while racing! www.horizontrue.com
s2ochen

Old Design?

Post by s2ochen »

" the best of all knowledge S2 still has the molds, or whats left of them. I can't believe that they'd interested in selling. And I doubt that anyone would really want to build new 7.9's. It would be just too cost prohibitive, remember, S2 knocked off a few in the mid-90's and the cost was up over $40,000. What would it be today? $50-60+?? "

Tarten 10s, J/24s, J/22s are all old designs being built still... keeps the value of the boats higher and the class stronger. I remember people in the J/24 class that went J/22 only because they couldn't buy a "NEW" J/24. New Hunter 25s sell for 40k sailaway with crappy sails and gear... and they are selling well. Beneteau 25.7s I believe have a sticker of 55k. Both of these boats don't sail as well as the 7.9.
tpf

J24's

Post by tpf »

I believe you can still buy new J24's but I think they wait until they can do a run of 8 boats. I think the J22 is popular because they have comparable utility and performance on a much lower budget. To be competitive in a J22 you only need one jib and it is pretty small at that.

I do agree that people would still would be interested in the 7.9 it has a lot of features that you can't get elswhere provided the new boats were built as well.
s2ochen

J24

Post by s2ochen »

Your right, I should have explained that a little better... They stopped making the J/24 for like 5 or 6 years. Then Waterline bought the molds and started to sell them again. Last time I checked, they are selling for around 45k base.

J/22 brand new is around 30-35k.
Tigerlily

Class Molds

Post by Tigerlily »

I don't see this as a rules issue but the subject is interesting and I propose having the forum master move this thread to a more appropriate general forum.

I suppose that if there was enough interest in having new 7.9's built and a consortium of investors approached Tiara with a proposal that perhaps a run of new 7.9's could be accomplished. This would however be a very expensive proposition especially when a decent used 7.9 can be found for under 20K.
My hull #50 is still in very good shape with few problem areas even though it has spent much of it's life in and around a salt water environment.
Start with a good hull, add a new mast if necessary, upgrade the running rigging and you've got yourself a contender for a lot less money than a "new" 7.9 would probably cost.

I am curious and would like to hear from those who have experienced major problems with the older 7.9's. I know about the chain plate issues and Spike has come up with a solution for that. What other problem areas do y'all have?

Has anyone attempted a "census" of remaining 7.9's? I know of a couple around here that belong to owners who are not class members. One was hurricane damaged and I observed the repair process and the boat is as good as or better than new and is not being raced or used very much to the best of my knowledge. The other has recently been taken out of the area and is being stored in a barn in Northern N.Y. awaiting restoration and use as a Sailing School boat.
Sara T. Allen - "Front Runner"
S2 7.9m Grand Slam Hull #50
Sarasota Sailing Squadron
Ken Thompson Park
City Island, Sarasota, Florida