Cut stantion height?

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Tom Clark

Post by Tom Clark »

Dave, you certainly don't need to stop talking about moving stanchions. I tried to expess my view in stong terms simply to match your energy, which I admire. We do need more people to enter this discussion to get a better idea where the class is at.

As for stanchion height, perhaps just establishing a minimum is sufficient, though it might be hard to get a consensus if people are allowed to vote on several heights. I do know that while on foredeck, the 24" lifeline has kept me on board several times. The back of the knee can wrap around a 24" lifeline rather nicely. Nevertheless, a single 14-18" lifeline seems like it would be efficient and comfortable for hiking. Has anyone found a single 12" lilfeline too low?

Tom Clark
Wavelength #525
dave

moving

Post by dave »

Tom, anyone who's ever sailed with or against me knows that I don't give in easily. Having said that, I'm not the "cheerleader" type. As a matter of fact, I never have liked cheerleaders! I presented some ideas and got some promising feedback but the total lack of any support at all [let alone understanding] of the benefits of matching the bases to the deck angles to optimize the comfort of the crew has left me to reconsider how open minded the class might be to such benefits. With all due respect to all, of course.

As far as the foredeck goes, even with a short forward stanchion it would be a simple, cheap task to just make up two pigtails to add to the forward end of the lifeline to be moved from a low position back to the higher position on the bow pulpit, if the conditions and/or foredeck person made that desirable.
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

I for one will not be doing anything to change the height of my lifelines.
1) in addition to the normal bouy races I do overnights, and other "distance" races, where safety becomes a major concern. Lowering the height of the lifelines works against the safety intent of having them on the boat.
2) The arguements in favor of lowering seem to centered on crew comfort, and wear on the jib.
I've got two shroud rollers set on my lifelines either side of the forward stanchions and they work great, the jib is virtually self footing.
As far as crew comfort; its relative, some of my crew find the liflelines too high, others don't mind.
So, my suggestion; set a class minimum height, and let owners decide for themselves.
dave

12"

Post by dave »

Tom, unless one has sailed on an Ulitimate 20 like I have they would have a hard time finding a boat with 12" lifeline. VERY comfortable though!

Dave
Jim Kloss

Post by Jim Kloss »

The Caribbean Sailing Association's "safety rules" specify a minimum height of 18". Do other rule-making bodies have anything to say about this issue?

Jim Kloss
s/v Ambivalence
S2 7.9 #8
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

I believe that 18 inches is the minimum standard for offshore yachts under 28 feet in length under international sail federation rules. (or something to that effect) I don't recall exactly, and my offshore regs book is not close at hand. Not applicable to persons who only race one design, or local PHRF races, this rule would apply only to certain catagorys of offshore events. It does provide a good guideline however.
mike

Post by mike »

I've polled my crew, and they are all for lowering the lifelines. All but one crew (6'5" tall) would be happy with 14". My one tall crew would prefer 18" so he can get his long legs out quicker when we tack. If there was a vote, I would vote to make it optional to lower the lifelines to as low as 14". Can we get a vote going this winter??
fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

Post by fleck »

18 in is the min for offshore class 1-4. Most phrf races are class 4 as a minimum requirement. Considering that most 7.9 owners also race under PHRF I think 18 should be the min.

At least for someone my size, a 12 in lifeline would actually be just a trip line as I go over the side.
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484