Lifelines / stern pulpit

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Jim Kloss

Lifelines / stern pulpit

Post by Jim Kloss »

We're prepping "Ambivalence" to race in the Caribbean Ocean Racing Triangle in two weeks The CSA "safety rule" requires a stern pulpit or lifelines rigged as such, but our boat has the standard "love handles" rather than the full stern pulpit. A friendly local skipper has already threatened to protest our non compliance, so we're scrambling to rig something. Most of the things I've thought of and could do fairly simply don't comply with the ISAF regs -- which are extensive (cf the previous discussion of spectra lifelines)

How have any of you dealt with this problem? I just noticed the nice photo of "Frequent Flyer" taking 2nd at Key West -- she has love handles too!

Anybody have a spare set of two stanchions?

Jim Kloss
s/v Ambivalence
S2 7.9 #8
grandillusion

Post by grandillusion »

this won't answer your question, but hull # 151 took 1 st in 1984 at the COT race and it had only the "love handles" rules may have changed since then?
S2 7.9 216, H 16 80127, Star 6188
Jim Kloss

Lifelines

Post by Jim Kloss »

"Tops in Quality" in MI, who made the stainless steel for S2, has said they can get me two new stanchions that match the originals in time for me to rig a legal lifeline.

As my son said, "just because they didn't get protested doesn't mean we won't"

Besides, if it's a problem you can solve by throwing money at it, it isn't really a problem anyway, is it? (A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money ....)

Jim Kloss
s/v Ambivalence
S2 7.9 #8
fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

Post by fleck »

Jim,

Wasn't the problem the stern pulpit? You can get rings that go over the standard stanchions to rig a double lifeline.

If you get a stern pulpit price from 'tops' let me know. My crew hiked mine into two pieces this fall (gotta love it).

I was thinking of getting two corner pulpits built that have 3 mount points each and use a wire across the back.

Sorta like this...
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484