One more new member in Rochester

Please post any questions or comments regarding the class association rules, here.

Moderators: sderby, Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Marc Marschark

One more new member in Rochester

Post by Marc Marschark »

What is this, a social movement?

I arrived back in Rochester, NY, last night (New Year's Eve) hauling my "new" (1983) S2 7.9. We pulled #195 (currently Quicksilver) all the way from Charlotte, NC, over two days. No problems at all.

I raced in Charlotte for many years on J 29s and Sovral 33s - several friends had S2 7.9s. Since moving to Rochester, I have been racing on an Ericson 33 and am now on a Pearson 30, on Lake Ontario out of the Genesee Yacht Club. We have a place on Canandaigua Lake, however, and that's where I do my cruising.

Come April, a fellow will come and pick up my San Juan 24, on which we have been cruising for the past five years (it's also the kind of boat I learned to sail on). In its place, we picked up an S2 7.9 that I used to race against in Charlotte. It has been sitting in the woods for six years, unused, and is going to require a lot of elbow grease and TLC. There are no significant repairs (read: epoxy or fiberglass), however, and I'm hoping to be in the water by the middle of May. At the moment, we are planning to turn this baby into a cruiser... even if I have a wonderful set of racing sails. Who knows?

Immediate plans: Time to start prepping for spring. Does someone have a list of line lengths? every line on the boat has been removed, and I'll have to rerun everything. I also need to order some parts (tracks for the companionway sliding hatch), and I presume that I will find where to do that as I search through the site. The previous owner told me that there was a particular department at S2 I needed to contact.

I look forward to learning to sail this boat... thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Marc Marschark
@last

Post by @last »

In regard to the line info length I believe it can be found in the other info section here under specs-hope that helps. Good luck with the boat, as any owner would tell you they are pretty nice.
JP

Post by JP »

Marc- great news! If we can help please let us know! Magic will be around from time to time in the summer.

Jeff
Jeff Pawlowski