Centerboard

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Scalded D

Centerboard

Post by Scalded D »

Just purchased my boat and discovered a crack running the entire bottom of the centerboard. I was going to fill with epoxy but wondered if this was a result of something more serious than cosmetic. Has anyone had this type of crack appear.
Thanks
Andy

:arrow: :arrow: Could you post more info. Where is the crack / how is it oriented? How big / deep? Is there loose material? Does it sound hollow or soild when tapped? Etc.
Bob Acker

Centerboard crack.

Post by Bob Acker »

Scalded, we have ran into the same thing on Hunting Party. I don't know if you travel, but if you do, we have found that trailering over rough roads make the board bounce. If this is the case with you, I have a couple of suggestions. First, get a piece of high density foam to lay underneath the board when on the road. Secondly, make sure the weight of the board is being equally distributed along the whole length of the board. We discovered our boat was sitting a little nose down, point loading the front corner of the board. Good luck. Bob.
Sam Buschell

Post by Sam Buschell »

I had a small crack on the bottom of the board.
The board was constructed in two halves and then bonded together.
The crack down the center is probably along the seam between the two halves.
I ground the bottom down to bare glass, enlarged the crack, and inspected it for any water damage.
The inside of the keel if full of lead and a bluish epoxy filler, if it hasn’t delaminated you are in good shape.
I then filled the crack, and laid up a piece of heavy fiberglass cloth that matched the shape of the bottom.
Lastly, I faired the bottom and painted using an epoxy based paint.
I did this with the board out of the boat, but I imagine it could be done in place.
If you have the time and resources I would recommend taking the board out to closely inspect it.
Feel free to email me with any questions.
Sam