Override on the Lift Keel Winch.

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Sam Buschell

Override on the Lift Keel Winch.

Post by Sam Buschell »

Has anyone here experienced an override on the Lift Keel Winch.
Any safe/creative ways to clear one?
The line is 5/16” NER T900.
The winch is a Lewmar 16 self tailer.
The board is approximately half way up.
I have done this on genoa sheets during races by cutting the line at the clew and tacking.
Not an option in this case.
:?
Sam
Steve Bowen

Post by Steve Bowen »

I haven't actually tried this but it might work:
1. Remove keel access covers, attach a D-shackle to the tang where the pin goes (should be able to reach if not more than 1/2 down).
2. Get a scissor jack and straddle the keel opening with it (may need a board underneath for proper support).
3. Tie a tight loop with a line thru the D-shackle and around the top of the jack (may need some chafe guarding if there are sharp edges). Jack it up and off you go.
Sam Buschell

Post by Sam Buschell »

Steve,
Thanks for the great idea.
I took the jack from my truck to the boat, but I was able to banjo the keel line enough to clear the winch.
I was quite surprised that we were able to do this so easily.
One man in front of the clutch, one behind taking up slack.
Sam
Tom Line

Post by Tom Line »

Another way that works easily and on the race course: Carry a big pair of vice grips with you.

Tie a sheet onto the overridden sheet between the turning block and the winch. Use the other cabin top winch to winch the board up just a couple more inches. Clamp the vise grips onto the rope just before the turning block. Ease the sheet you just winched in. The vice grips will take the load from the board and give you that few inches of slack you need to get the over-ridden sheet off the winch.
Tom Line
Hull 421
Grrr...
8)