Rig Tension Problems

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Quinn McCarthy

Rig Tension Problems

Post by Quinn McCarthy »

I just noticed that when I adjust the rig tension I get a separation between the wall between the head and the v berth and the keel trunk. As you increase tension the crack gets wider. It does not seem like it looses tension over time. Is there any way to prevent this from happening. Last year I had some water problems around the chain plates. This spring I replaced that whole area and reseated the chain plates. It seams like there is a discrepancy between the port and starboard chain plates as far as strength the port side being quite a bit more solid. I noticed that there is not flange of any kind around the starboard chain plate on the inside. Is there a good way beef this area up a bit?
G Rehe

Post by G Rehe »

Quinn,
That is not normal movement of the bulkhead that the starboard chain plate is mounted to; something has come loose. Recommend inspecting your hull in that area for delamination -- I am assuming the bulkhead is laminated on the inner layer of the hull. In fact, it might be worth investigating hiring a surveyor (etc) to inspect the area.
Keep us all posted on what you find.
Greg
Valkyrie
Tac Boston

Rig tension

Post by Tac Boston »

Hey

You should talk to Hunty Party. They blew the chainplate right out of the boat in Chicago. They have the place to get the new chainplates and a lot of boats are doing the repair before they have a Hunty Party problem.
Cheers,

Tac
Tac Boston

Rig tension

Post by Tac Boston »

Hey

You should talk to Hunty Party. They blew the chainplate right out of the boat in Chicago. They have the place to get the new chainplates and a lot of boats are doing the repair before they have a Hunty Party problem.
Cheers,

Tac
Mark Gutteridge

Post by Mark Gutteridge »

Tac;
That's HUNTING PARTY!
Do not ignore the starboard chain plate attachement to the bulkhead or you too will be driving to St. Pete's Fla. to get a new mast.
E mail me and I will fill you in on the problem and the repairs we made.
Chimo;
Guts.AKA Mark.