Foot Brace for Driver

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

JP

Foot Brace for Driver

Post by JP »

Seeking ideas for a foot brace that attaches underneath the travler for the driver to use. I've seen Rebel's brace, what else are folks using? Pictures would be great.
Jeff Pawlowski
Mark Gutteridge

Post by Mark Gutteridge »

WE installed hard plastic foot braces on hunting party.I will have to ask Alice how to post a photo in the forum.
Guts.
grandillusion

Post by grandillusion »

mine came with blocks of teak aproximatly 1 inch wide, 1 1/2 " tall and about 6" long (tapered and routed of course) screwed to the top of the cockpit seat and as close to the edge as possible, one is mounted aft of the traveler and one fore they seem to work well for healed driving and a good place to brace when trimming the main I'll be replacing them with high density plastic when they need refinishing!
S2 7.9 216, H 16 80127, Star 6188
Bob Kirsten

Driver Footblocks

Post by Bob Kirsten »

My original owner put a fore and aft 1 1/4" aluminum pipe from the back of the traveler (he made a bracket and pull out pin), running aft into a teak block that he through bolted thru the back of the cockpit. It was excellent for the helmsman in racing, but it banged my shins up so many times I eventually just pulled it off. I wouldn't recommend that solution.

Bob Kirsten
DD Mau
North Star Sail Club
Bob Kirsten - DD Mau
North Star Sail Club, Michigan
robert_kirsten@hotmail.com
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

How do you post pictures on this forum??? I have some pics of REBEL's that I could share, but I can't figure out how to post pics.
LarryE-old

Foot brace

Post by LarryE-old »

Don't know about the picture posting, but would be intrested in seeing them.
Purr-Fect
JP

Post by JP »

John- please send photos to usa1208@rochester.rr.com . I appreciate it and will return your call. Jeff
Jeff Pawlowski
John Spierling

Post by John Spierling »

Jeff,
Check your e-mail for the photos.
AllenDurow

Foot braces

Post by AllenDurow »

I've got carbon fiber braces fore and aft of the traveler. Jesse Peterson made them. Thinking of making a mold to put them into production. I'll take some photos if anyone's interested.

Allen Durow
Lift Ticket
Hull 513
Fred Chadsey

FOOT BRACE FOR DRIVER

Post by Fred Chadsey »

I BELIEVE I HAVE THE SLICKEST SYSTEM. I BOUGHT A PAIR OF WEST MARINE "FOLDING STEPS" # 117440. THEY LAY PREFECTLY FLAT ON DECK AND IN HEAVY AIR I JUST FLIP THEM UP. I'M 76 YRS OLD AND THEY MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO HOLD MY BODY OUTBOARD AS BEST POSSIBLE. THERE IS NO CONLFICT W/ TRAVELER AND FREE LINES DON'T GET HUNG UP. NOTE I ALSO TEAK FOOT STOP BUT NOT NEARLY EQUAL TO THE "FOLDING FOOT STEP".
S2 7.9 hull # 467
AllenDurow

foot braces

Post by AllenDurow »

I've posted some pics of the foot braces and cockpit drink holder for anyone interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Stockbridgemarine/S2#

Allen Durow
Lift Ticket
grandillusion

Post by grandillusion »

nice braces, but more interesting is how you have gotten your s2 in such an easie position to do the bottom?
S2 7.9 216, H 16 80127, Star 6188
AllenDurow

foot braces

Post by AllenDurow »

Thanks, the "boatisserie" is a much larger version of the one I use to work on smaller boats. The big one involves a couple farm jacks and a fork lift, but the boat flips with the ease of 1 person and a steel pipe.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Stockbridgemarine/FJProject#
critical

Re: FOOT BRACE FOR DRIVER

Post by critical »

Fred Chadsey wrote:I BELIEVE I HAVE THE SLICKEST SYSTEM. I BOUGHT A PAIR OF WEST MARINE "FOLDING STEPS" # 117440. THEY LAY PREFECTLY FLAT ON DECK AND IN HEAVY AIR I JUST FLIP THEM UP. I'M 76 YRS OLD AND THEY MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO HOLD MY BODY OUTBOARD AS BEST POSSIBLE. THERE IS NO CONLFICT W/ TRAVELER AND FREE LINES DON'T GET HUNG UP. NOTE I ALSO TEAK FOOT STOP BUT NOT NEARLY EQUAL TO THE "FOLDING FOOT STEP".
any photos of this? or other foot braces? can send to can54339 at gmail.com

Thanks,
Claudio
I Sea U hull #267
Quinn McCarthy

Re: Foot Brace for Driver

Post by Quinn McCarthy »

Fred,

You have one step on each side of the cock pit or 2?

Thanks
Quinn
~~~~~Quinn McCarthy~~~~~
~~~~-Born 2 Run #545-~~~~