Spreader Replacement - HELP! JSI cannot build them

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

sycmcsa

Spreader Replacement - HELP! JSI cannot build them

Post by sycmcsa »

My spreaders got water in them, froze, bulged up and cracked. Spoke with Dave Johnson at NewJSI and he informed me they cannot build new ones per class specs as they have run out of spreader extrusion and the recent company who made them (and the mast) went belly up, but waiting to hear back from the class on how the remedy the problem.

So my question is, how do get a new set of spreaders and still be class legal? Anyone have extra spreaders?

TIA
sycmcsa

Re: Spreader Replacement - HELP! JSI cannot build them

Post by sycmcsa »

Rig Rite sells Kenyon spreader section SP2.2 that is VERY close in size (1.88 x .75), slightly thicker cord profile and thinner width. But used the exact same size spreader bar as my NewJSI class mast (3/8" x 1-3/4").

Would some one from the class chime in let me know if this is close enough to be class legal? Need to get sailing!

http://rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/K ... rfoil.html
fleck
Minister of propaganda and lies

Post by fleck »

I've had the bulge repaired. Took to local rigging shop, they ground out the split, bent back to shape and rewelded it.

I hope JSI can still make spreaders. The class has mast blanks down there. If you can't get it fixed, or one built, PM me.
Bob Fleck
Horizon 484
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

OK, that is a good question. Let's get the rules guy to weigh in on it.
in the Class Rules we have:
A1.C.2. The type of spreader, spreader length, spreader angle, or method of attachment shall not be changed or modified.
and no mention of the spreaders in the "allowable mods" section.
now, if we are no longer able to obtain the OEM spreaders, what constitutes an "equivalent" substitute? My opinion is that the critical dimensions are length (which we should specify), weight (which we should also specify), section (for which I think we should set minimums), and mounting angle (which we should specify).

Comments?
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
dave

Post by dave »

Ditto that.

The middle model on this link is the same thickness and only .005 less in chord.

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1 ... Airfoil%29
Stef

Post by Stef »

I go through this all the time in my business, mostly foundry's, but occasional aluminum extruders. To make matters worse, when and if you recover your tooling a new supplier tells you (if you're lucky) it needs to be modified. Usually ends up being at least 50% of new tooling costs.

I agree with Tim, if a similar extrusion is available, same mount, same distance to the wire and around the same shape, there should be no advantage to using this. So, it should be class acceptable.

I just repainted the entire mast and boom. My spreaders were also bulged out and cracked. I got them back to almost original shape and welded the cracks shut. I also drilled a small 3/16" diameter hole near the end of the spreader so water can drain out while it's laying across the boat.
Stef
Odyssey #146
sycmcsa

Post by sycmcsa »

JSI is attempting to fix my spreaders so fingers crossed.

I would think this rule would apply in the case they are not fixable

A2.E. Replacement parts: Replacement of lost or irreversibly damaged parts such as rudders, booms, etc. is allowed
providing the replacement as closely matches the original factory supplied part as is practical. The Rules director,
with assistance from the board, shall rule on any challenged replacements.

Does anyone know the spreader length?
Bruce Baker

Post by Bruce Baker »

How do you know if your spreaders need to be replaced? Mine have some cracks where the spreaders meet the mast.

Thanks,
Bruce
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Bruce,
Inside the mast end of the spreader is a fitting that goes over the mast bracket studs quite snugly, then the bolts hold the spreader to the bracket. If you see cracks in the outer skin of the spreader at the mast and they are not very long - like less than 1 inch - then over the winter, I would remove the spreaders and see how much damage you have. A good tig (sp?) welder might be able to help repair them. If you have more damage than a 1 inch long crack, I would take care of it now to avoid sudden and expensive de-rigging.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477