Boom Hardware

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Stef

Boom Hardware

Post by Stef »

Since I stripped the boom completely I'm taking the opportunity to plug some unused holes. There was a large eye mounted on the port side of the boom near the mast. I never used it and have no idea what it might be for. Looks like an eye to clip a spinnaker pole to. None of the other 7.9's here have this.
Safely remove?
Stef
Odyssey #146
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Re: Boom Hardware

Post by Tim Bosma »

Stef,
What is your reefing setup? It may have been for a reefing line. Do you have a main topping lift? It could be that the topping lift was stowed there while underway. It is not a stock production item, so it could be removed.
Thanks,
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
jeffphoto

Post by jeffphoto »

Hi Stef,
When did tou get your 7.9? I an very much searching for just the right boat. Do you know of one for sale?
Regards,
Jeff (redyankeeiceboat)
Bruce Baker

Post by Bruce Baker »

Somebody mentioned reefing. I'm wondering how the reef line attaches to the boom. The line goes out of the end of the boom, through the sail, and then what? My old Catalina 25 had a cleat you could tie the line to, or else you could tie two half hitches around the boom. With my bolt-rope footed main, that is impossible. Is there supposed to be something to tie onto? Or do you just tie a loop though the reef point?

Thanks,
Bruce Baker
SV GIT-R-DONE 430
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Bruce,
even with a bolt-rope footed main, there is a gap at the aft end (clew) of the main between the end of the bolt-rope and the clew slug. We paas the reef line up from the sheeve, through the reef cringle, and then down to the boom through that slot, and tie a bowline around the boom.
Thanks,
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477