STEAMING LIGHT

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Stef

STEAMING LIGHT

Post by Stef »

Does anyone know who supplied the original steaming light? Mine was replaced by a cheap one and the original had 6 mounting holes. Would rather put that back on.
Stef
Odyssey #146
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Re: STEAMING LIGHT

Post by Tom Elsen »

Hey Stef
I don't have that info. And, just me, I wouldn't replace that item. Just more wear on your sail.
But if I wasn't so inclined, I'd look for a mast/foredeck light like this one:
http://us.binnacle.com/Lights-Steaming- ... l?CDpath=3

The whole unit us wrapped with the mount. And it provide foredeck light as well.

Just MHO.
Best wishes,
Tom
Gerry Connolly

Post by Gerry Connolly »

The Perko A-16 is small and rounded. It doesn't snag halyards like the original one did.
Bob Kirsten

Post by Bob Kirsten »

Guys,

I agree that the old aluminum can light snagged lines all the time. I installed one of the Aqua Signal units last year (black plastic, where tabs are bent back to the sides of the mast. It is kinda big, but I had no problem with lines hanging up on it at all. I also got the version (from a Canadian supplier) that had the steaming light in LED. The deck light is still halogen or ?

DD Mau
Bob Kirsten - DD Mau
North Star Sail Club, Michigan
robert_kirsten@hotmail.com
dave

Post by dave »

A Genoa leech monster!!!!! :shock: :oops: :roll:
Bruce Baker

Post by Bruce Baker »

This is only slightly related. My mast lights are intermittent. Two years ago, when I bought the boat, the mast head light didn't work but the steaming light did. Now it's the reverse. I suspect that the problem is the fitting on the deck. I cleaned everything out and lightly sanded the prongs, but it didn't solve my problem. I wonder if there is some kind of super conducting goo that can be put inside?

Thanks,
Bruce
Stef

Post by Stef »

I had that same problem. I got totally frustrated and replaced it with a 4 prong automobile trailer plug. Use the type with the jacket around the prongs so they are insulated from the weather. Tape it up with white electrical tape. Haven't had a problem since. Cheap too!
Stef
Odyssey #146
Bob Kirsten

Post by Bob Kirsten »

Stef,

I put on exactly the unit that Tom recommended - with one addition. I got it from a Canadian outfit, and with LED for the steaming part of the light, and it was less money. I found the unit and the company on Ebay.

Bob Kirsten
Bob Kirsten - DD Mau
Bob Kirsten

Post by Bob Kirsten »

Stef,

I put on exactly the unit that Tom recommended - with one addition. I got it from a Canadian outfit, and with LED for the steaming part of the light, and it was less money. I found the unit and the company on Ebay.

Bob Kirsten
Bob Kirsten - DD Mau