Wooden headliner

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

northerner

Wooden headliner

Post by northerner »

Hi everyone

Getting to the home stretch on all the boat work. Fraser is almost finished completely rewiring the boat. $2000 and many, many hours later. I feel like a boat widow. I hope the new owner appreciates all this someday

Meanwhile, I'm still anxious to get the carpet out of the inside. In the 'for sale' section, there are photos of a beautifully redone S2, where they have replaced the hull liner with wooden slats. Very pretty

I'm wondering if we could also use varnished plywood veneer? It seems it would be simpler than cutting all of those wooden slats. On a different forum, people were talking about using the slats, with a space between each, because it allowed for the movement that occurs when the hull flexes. This seemed to be an issue of noise. My understanding is the S2 has a balsa cored hull, so it is quite stiff. So what I'm curious to know is if you guys think that the plywood veneer is a bad idea, or would the slats be better?

Thanks everyone

I'll post pics of the wiring job. It's pretty impressive :D
Tom Elsen
Site Admin

Re: Wooden headliner

Post by Tom Elsen »

I'm thinking that it would be tough to create the necessary compound curves from a flat sheet of plywood.
Maybe it can be done, you'd need to create some pretty accurate templates first. Then transfer them to the plywood. Then you'd need some way to keep the sheet pressed in place while the adhesive (hopefully) dries it in place and in shape.
Don't forget this isn't a nice dry environment either. Delamination of the material is always a risk. Plus, when you do get moisture behind the plywood, you've got the perfect environment for mold.
Wouldn't be my first choice.
Best wishes,
Tom
northerner

Re: Wooden headliner

Post by northerner »

Hi Tom
thank you

It sounds like you are right

Not sure where or how to get those wooden slats but will look into it