FRONT HATCH REPLACEMENT

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Stef

FRONT HATCH REPLACEMENT

Post by Stef »

I'm replacing the front hatch on #146. Removed old one and it must have been replaced already. It was a Lewmar Trimline 40, and the 1/4" spacers are already in place. They don't make the Trimline anymore, it's been replaced with the Low Profile 40 which fits the same opening size as the old 40.
Is the new Lewmar still the hatch of choice? Best price and where?
Stef
Odyssey #146
Spencer Rogers

Re: FRONT HATCH REPLACEMENT

Post by Spencer Rogers »

Timely question. I have the same problem. The Lewmar 40 may be the best choice but has had some unhappy buyers on other boats. Has anyone installed the Bomar G966?

Spencer Rogers
Stef

Post by Stef »

Well, I went with the Lewmar 40 low profile. Installing this weekend. I had unpacked it, the quality is not as good as the original Lewmar Trimline 40 that was in there.
Hull #100, Harry McCoy replaced his with the Bowmar 966. He hasn't mentioned any problems Bowmar is all vinyl, frame and all. Lewmar is all anodized aluminum frame. Glass is also replaceable.
Stef
Odyssey #146
Rhys05

Post by Rhys05 »

Also replacing my front hatch. Going from the original (Pomerelle?) to a Lewmar 40. Actually did it last Friday, but I'm going to be doing it AGAIN tonight due to not using enough caulking around the flange to seal adequately. It sure LOOKED like it would be enough, but it was not. Advice to anyone replacing their hatch: put caulking on until you are think "that looks like a lot" ...and then put MORE on. As far as the hatch goes, it DOES look nicer and appear to be of much higher quality than the original, and I like knowing that it is aluminum rather than plastic.

Brandon
Stef

Post by Stef »

Comparing the quality of the new to the old Lewmar Trimline 40 that came out: The hinge is flimsy and where the stay mounts to the frame they used a pop rivet. Lewmar said the inner trim ring would be different so I ordered that too. It was the same, there was no need to change that. :roll:
Stef
Odyssey #146
Rhys05

Post by Rhys05 »

Stef-

Is this the trim ring you are referring to: http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=8 ... &channel=1 ? I didn't get one with mine, and it would be nice to be able to have a screen in the hatch. Need to hunt one down...it just snap into place under the hatch?

Brandon
Stef

Post by Stef »

Old trim ring broke when I tossed it. Might still have the screen.
Stef
Odyssey #146
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

We put a Bowmar 966 on Hot Tamale 2 seasons ago. works fine, no leaks, flexes slightly when I step on it (at 15 stone), but our lightweight bowperson has not had that experience.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
taylodp

Post by taylodp »

I am in the process of replacing the front hatch cover on #107. I am going to install the Bowmar 966, which is what is on there now. Any suggestions on what kind of caulking / sealant to use?
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

We put down a 100% silicon sealant (probably by Dow Chemical).
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
taylodp

Post by taylodp »

Thanks for your reply. I talked to the Bomar manufacturer and they recommended 3M 5200. That is what I used. Now I am second guessing them because that stuff gets pretty hard.
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

yeah, 5200 would make it a permanent install.
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
Mookie

Post by Mookie »

5200 is tenacious, but I wouldn't worry about it. If you ever do need to remove it, a heat gun makes pretty short work of it.
Bill B
taylodp

Post by taylodp »

Thanks for the tip. I hope it is many years down the road before I have to replace it.