What is your preferred tiller design?

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Southern Gales

What is your preferred tiller design?

Post by Southern Gales »

I've seen some beautiful work on tiller modifications through this site. My current tiller has delaminated and I'm looking for a practical & class legal replacement.
Have any issues come up with curved or shortened tillers with respect to use or class rules? The S2 I've sailed on has a shortened tiller which allows for the skipper's legs to pass in front of it while tacking. What is your preferred tiller design?
AJ Oliver

Re: What is your preferred tiller design?

Post by AJ Oliver »

The shortened tiller has that advantage. I have not made that mod yet - sorta like the old curvy & long shape.
It does not take long to get used to pushing the tiller up, and stepping under it, while tacking.
It's aesthetics vs. ergonomics.
Southern Gales

Post by Southern Gales »

Thanks for the feedback AJ. I'm still 50/50 on which design to go with. My current delaminated tiller measured 52.5". Anyone know what the shortened measurement is?
I'm thinking of going with shortened and curved as a compromise. The only issue there would be the tiller extension would not lay flat when stored. I plan to do a lot of single handing off the race course as well.
dave

Post by dave »

One big advantage of the upward curved tiller is leverage. With a straight tiller and the 7.9 geometry. A good bit of leverage is lost because you're actually pulling up and pushing down, not just straight in and out. Also, for tillers of a given length, the business end of the upward curved model winds up higher and further aft with "X" angle of lifting the tiller to walk through during tacking. A win/win thingy to me. :wink:
LarryE-old

Post by LarryE-old »

I agree with Dave on the upward curved tiller is good.
17 years ago, I had one made, curves up and is 6 in. shorter.
Love it.
Purr-Fect
Southern Gales

Post by Southern Gales »

Great, What kind of tiller extension do you curved tiller sailors go with?
~Chris
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

I have seen long and short wood laminate tillers, aluminum tillers, straight and curved wood tillers. The one on 457 was too long by about 5 inches. I think the best look is the straight one with a taper into the handle. It also works better with the Tiller Autopilot. My woodworking friend has made a couple of those for us, one because our old one started to delam, and one because he wanted to. As far as tacking goes, that's the skipper's job, I have no opinion from the pit except that he do it smoothly. We stow the tiller extension in the cabin after every race.
Thanks,
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
Southern Gales

Post by Southern Gales »

Thanks Tom. The ace race boat down here has a 43" straight tiller. Even though I like the look and feel of a curved tiller, I will go with the straight thanks to your comment regarding auto pilot. I plan to do a lot of single handing while not racing. Can you PM me the tiller maker's contact info.?
~Chris
cdiehl7

Post by cdiehl7 »

Biggest suggestion is don't use carbon fiber in your design... very conductive, very bad if you are struck by lightning.

My new tiller is made of two wooden hockey sticks laminated together.
USA 106
Gauntlet
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

We took a solid 6"-8" off our straight stock tiller. Made a HUGE difference in getting around during tacks and jibes with no lifting the tiller or getting bungled up in it. I use my 48" carbon Fatso Jr tiller extension from my laser. This allows me to sit forward in the cockpit to help with boat balance.

As long at the boat is balanced with rudder down at the proper angle and the helm is balanced driving with the long extension is very easy.