new owner, many questions

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

frankfreedom

new owner, many questions

Post by frankfreedom »

Hello all, just bought my S2 7.9, tried in 5 knots winds, I was the only one moving on my lake at decent speed.

now , I want to do some upgrade and maybe I can find some answers.

Transom ladder: 3 or 4 steps?
is there enough material to do it, should it go thru
frankfreedom

Re: new owner, many questions

Post by frankfreedom »

here are the rest of questions:

transom ladder: should I drill holes then filled them with epoxy , then install bolts?

Keel: is there a way to make it easier to lift without changing the winch, pictures are more then welcome

rudder: any system to keep it in water instead of using the bolt, again picture are welcome

thanks to all
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

Hi Frank; Congrats on becoming a 7.9 owner. They're great boats. Regarding the stern boarding ladder, the shorter one is too short, the bottom most rung will end up just barely below the surface at about chest level for anyone treading water. Unless you have gorilla arms you'll have trouble pulling yourself up high enough to get you're knee on the rung (painful) before you can climb up. The four step ladder is marginally (one step) better. Both are impossible in rough man overboard weather. I replaced mine with a removable 5-step "divers" style ladder that I can store in the lazerette. The bracket mounts on the transom. The transom is balsa cored so it will need to be overdrilled, filled and redrilled. Make sure you have a good size backing plate behind it all. It is possible to actually squirm into the lazerette if you're adventurous. (and not too fat) for positioning and installing the thru-bolts . Since you're working on the transom anyway check for water intrusion around the rudder pintles. Water in the core can lead to a host of problems. In my case, the original owner provided me with a Johnson 9.9 with battery charging, water in the transom completed a circuit that gave me a poke whenever I grabbed the backstay. A new motor, and a transom re-core solved that problem. Water can also get in through the screw holes holding down the edge rail across the back, check those out as well.
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

I've also had excellent results racing my 7.9 in very light air . .
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Older thread, but:
Becksen ports help, to gain access to the transom, you WILL need a backer plate, and overdrill as was said.
I took the opportunity to put 4" kicker speakers in the becksen ports since they were there anyway... it gives me access to both the swim ladder, AND the motor mount by putting them there. Also if the next owner hates my speakers (how could you?) they can just replace the plates on the ports.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Tim Bosma
Web Lackey

Post by Tim Bosma »

Hi Frank,
I cleaned up the unanswered posts and your PM outbox. Welcome to the Class! I hope you enjoy your 7.9.
Thanks,
Tim Bosma, Bosun
Hot Tamale Racing
boz@htr477.com
S2 7.9's : #477
normbue

Post by normbue »

If you send an email address, I will send you drawings and instructions on the centerboard lift.
Normbue@yahoo.com