rudder hold down system

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

frankfreedom

rudder hold down system

Post by frankfreedom »

Hello looking for a diagram of a hold down system for the rudder. We would like not to have to bend overboard every time time to install the rudder in place, any pictures or diagram welcome.

I have seen a post but diagram no longer available.

Also what are you using to block rudder in place instead of a bolt that could break if rudder get in contact with bottom, I've read lead pencil but any other ideas

Thank you all
SailingUphill

Re: rudder hold down system

Post by SailingUphill »

I presently use a bolt, because my take is, if I'm striking something my keel is gonna get it first... if I'm smart enough to raise the keel, but leave the rudder down, then I deserve to have to repair my rudder :)

I'd also love to hear if anyone has a way to "force" the rudder into the down position. Because its way easier to put the rudder on if it's in the UP position, then once its on, drop it to the DOWN position, but it almost never goes all the way down easily, I usually wind up pushing it down with a boat hook or something, then putting the bolt in to hold it down. I DO have a wing nut on the bolt, so if I wanna shallow water anchor or something I can remove the bolt winch up the daggerboard, and I have a line to pull the rudder up (and have brass snap shackles that clip to an eye bolt at the top of the rudder head, with 2 settings, one for up and one for down, so it'll say up).

I don't think I have a picture of what I did, but if I think about it, I'll snap one this weekend.
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Jim Kloss

Re: rudder hold down system

Post by Jim Kloss »

No diagram, but my boat had a system that worked: Single block on about a 6" pendant attached to the front of the rudder head. Line dead-headed on the tiller pin, through the block, back over the tiller pin and to a cleat on top of the tiller. Worked fine with standard rudder pin, but I've added a second pivot point down and back so I can raise the rudder all the way out of the water and the leverage no longer works.

Jim Kloss
s/v Ambivalence
S2 7.9 #8