Soft spot around mast

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

frankfreedom

Soft spot around mast

Post by frankfreedom »

Hello all,

we do have a general area of soft spot around the mast, both sides of it , altought the mast seem to be solid. Should we be concern about the mast falling? Should we fix the flexing of the deck when walking on it if the mast is in no danger of caving in.

Also , if we do have the roof repair, we will need new electrical connector that are going thru the deck, any recommendation?

Can someone tell me what is the use of the block in front of the mast on the deck( we suspect to hold or guide something when the pole is in use)

We are also looking for the drawing of the cabin table, the one that attached on the wall of the toilet(head)

Sails, we have old laminate kevlar sails, we will have to replace them, my first instinct was to have another laminate but a local shop is suggesting Dacron and a cross cut patern, any comments? we are not racing but we do not want to settle for something less efficeint then what we have.

Finally, at one point it would be nice to talk or facetime someone, that can share some knowledge on this boat, the closest one is 600 km away (400 miles)

thank you
Stef

Re: Soft spot around mast

Post by Stef »

Frank, I had this problem. Had water intrusion from the tabernacle and that small block in front of the mast step. That block works with the spinnaker pole downhaul. I did my entire repair from below. Cut away carpet, used dremel tool and remove fiberglass skin on inside to expose core. Removed wet core and actually let it dry for a few months. Replaced core and reglassed, put carpet back.

I now remove my tabernacle every few years and reseal all around it. I also made the area around that block solid glass in case it ever leaks again it wont saturate the balsa.
Stef
Odyssey #146
AJ Oliver

Re: Soft spot around mast

Post by AJ Oliver »

Frank -

That is a repair you should do, esp. if you want to sell the boat at some point.

Do a search for "mast step repair" on this thread . . This is what we did

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1158&p=7890&hilit=m ... otos#p7890