Outhaul replacement

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Gregg

Outhaul replacement

Post by Gregg »

I am looking to replace my outhaul - any suggestions. Currently it is wire with a 4/1 to rope. I am thinking of going the route of spectra or something similar, any thoughts, reccomendations?

Currently the whole mechanism has a lot of friction in it. It appears that the shiv is in less than ideal condition and the rope has seen better days.

Thank you,

Gregg
Gregg
t'kela - #390
Portland, Maine
dave

Re: Outhaul replacement

Post by dave »

Get rid of the stock tackle. I use a 6:1 cascading setup with ball bearing blocks. Less twisting inside the boom, less friction, more power and able to get full outhaul without easing the vang and sheet AS LONG AS the tail leads to a headknocker style of block at the front/underside of the boom. With this setup it can be pulled from either side on the rail and if needed, the crew can place a foot on the mast our boom for leverage. DON'T use large line thinking that it will be easier on the hands. IMHO [and real world use] this is an old sailors tale. Smaller line creates less friction and makes for an EASIER pull to get the same job done. 3/16" works just fine.
Quinn McCarthy

Re: Outhaul replacement

Post by Quinn McCarthy »

Gregg

I did the same as dave did on our old boat #113. The outhaul blocks where pretty cheap. 6:1 really makes things easier. We just followed the 6:1 diagram on the harken web site. We went with 1/4" sta set. I will probably be doing the same thing on the new one as well.

Hope that helps.

Quinn
~~~~~Quinn McCarthy~~~~~
~~~~-Born 2 Run #545-~~~~