Rambling repair post...

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

SHNOOL

Re: Rambling repair post...

Post by SHNOOL »

Come on 8 pages.... heheheh. Ok, some better shots of the flicker and cascaded backstay, it works real well, thanks again Tom!

and the flicker. Ignore the shrouds.... wanted to see if the backstay was the right length. Everything was just perfect. My mast raising A-frame needs a bigger eye-bolt though, and I needed a new "frankenbolt" for the mast step (I went out and got those tonight)... I also got some more wax, so tomorrow I'll finish my waxing, and mark out where I want to put my numbers for my sail club, and I'll be ready to splash...

Also I tested my VHF's GPS... worked great. Sounds like the VHF was working too... Radio works great pulling in FM stations. Finally masthead wind speed and direction works flawlessly. Very happy it all worked! Basically what I am saying is... I'm done adding to this thread...

Thank you all that have looked at, or responded to this thread... I hope this gives other owners some ideas (or at least what NOT to do).
SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL »

In and stick up...
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Finally managed to get into my old account name... cool.
Super light air solo spinnaker launch...

And one gratuitous shot of her with a bone in her teeth..
Presently hull 399, "Ragtime" Blackwater Yacht Racing, Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Fomerly hull 68,"Rum Line," Paupack Sail Club, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

I'm impressed.
tootall519

Post by tootall519 »

Here is our rambling repair post on #497. Finishing up the bottom now. Ready for CCR we hope.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/S2-79-Re ... 9699267702

Kent
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Wow, and don't take this the wrong way cause your work looks fantastic...
But WHY on earth did you decide to buy one of these and do THIS much work to it?
tootall519

Post by tootall519 »

Long story but another boat saved. I promise to not do it again :oops:
tootall519

Post by tootall519 »

SailingUphill wrote:Wow, and don't take this the wrong way cause your work looks fantastic...
But WHY on earth did you decide to buy one of these and do THIS much work to it?
This is the boat #497 from NJ that you had an offer on and ended up not buying. Any idea why the keel would not go up all the way? It had so many coats of ablative paint on it would not go up. We scrapped paint for about an hour and got it up. Lucky for you, you did not buy it.

KP
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

Yes I recognized the boat when I saw the keel...

You know, I was a bit aggravated at that, because I had a trailer, I was ready to purchase, and I KNOW NJ all to well, they'd have had the EPA on me!
I couldn't understand why we couldnt' just throw the boat up on stands... and let me at it with a grinder, to grind away the thick spots so that I could get the keel up! I'd have been OK with that and drove away with a smile!

Shame, I liked the boat. But when I saw the work you were doing to the coach roof, I KNEW it was the same boat. Well for the price, it was worth it (my opinion), and I am SUPER glad the boat fell in your hands. Cause I really DO think it deserved its 2nd owner to be the one who brought it back to life.

I knew the prior owner had a lot of fun with the boat, and just didn't have the heart to try to bring it back to its former glory.
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

New season started...
I replaced the cam cleats on the combing with clam cleats (on wedges)... This is similar to my Capri 25 arrangement.
I poliglowed the boat before launch, and I'll see how this holds up (sure is easier than waxing, we'll see if I find it as frustrating as others have).
Of course bottom paint, 1 more layer
New mainsail installed (yeah I attached the velcro end to the boom, this was basically installing battens, and setting everything up)...
New boom cover on, looks really nice too!
yes I did get a VERY quick sail in before I had to leave. Numbers look promising with the new sail though.
Southern Gales

Post by Southern Gales »

Looks great! What make and brand of bottom paint did you use?
~Chris
SailingUphill

Post by SailingUphill »

We are freshwater, so most of the fleet uses VC17m Extra... however, this year (2018) Petit has a new product called black widow that is supposed to be good.
Hoidowecs

Post by Hoidowecs »

I really inspired a lot by reading your post. This is one of the the best Chaussures Nike Air Zoom Vomero 12 Hommes bleu marin / blanc that can explain about the god's message in a very effective manner. Everyone needs to change in their life to follow god's rules.
Hoidowecs

Post by Hoidowecs »

I’ve already been asking nowadays the purpose why this Nike SB Dunk Low TRD QS Uomini Scarpe Marrone 883232 700 as though everybody has been looking within the identical places for your thoughts and you also offer reactions.
Hoidowecs

Post by Hoidowecs »

I find your opinion quite interesting, but the other day I stumbled upon Under Armour Spine Disrupt Herren Laufschuhe Schwarz / Rot a completely different advice from another blogger, I need to think that one through, thanks for posting.