Daggerboard Lift

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

AJ Oliver

Daggerboard Lift

Post by AJ Oliver »

One winter project for my 7.9 is to re-work the daggerboard lift mechanism.

Right now it works only with difficulty - quite heavy loads.

Suggestions solicited . .
FEVER

Re: Daggerboard Lift

Post by FEVER »

See my post in the "Garhauer Keel Lift" thread, below, from this August.
Too lazy to type it again...........
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

From the archives - here is a helpful comment by Fred C.

"We used 3 Harken #311 sheaves & 1 #308. rebuilt fiddle w/ 1-#311 & 1-#308, other Harken #311 were @ top of lifting system. We also replaced the block in the bridge w/ harken # 311. System works great, less friction in blocks.
Most of owr friction was on the side wall by the shims. When we pulled the board there was a lot of crud on the shim, we sand ed them down. This helped most."
normbue

Post by normbue »

I think if you scroll back a couple of years, you will find many posts on this.
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

DB lift
DB lift
Yesterday I took the covers off the CB raising hardware and inspected it (see photo) . .

All four sheeves (one is on the turning block not pictured) turned freely.

I think my next step will be to check the delrin slides to see if the CB is hanging up there.
(by raising/lowering board while watching the slides)

(I can pull the board out fairly easily - and if I do so I will take photos and post them here)

Thanks to Fred C. for the tip on the slides.

Comments ? Suggestions ?
Stef

Post by Stef »

I have the same setup. Check the space you have between the plastic strips at the top of the board and the trunk wall. I removed about a 1/16" off each side so there's a bit of space and it moves freely up and down.
Stef
Odyssey #146
FEVER

Post by FEVER »

Has anyone tried applying paste wax to the inside walls of the trunk? As I looked at the posts submitted today it occurred to me that unpolished wax might allow Derlin strips to slide easier. It really helped the home made bow sprit slide easier on my S2 6.7.
normbue

Post by normbue »

I have a diagram and instructions that I have sent to others that works well. If you are interested, Send me an email and I will forward them to you.
Normbue@yahoo.com.
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

OK, I think I'm gonna try Stef's solution of shaving down the delrin slides . .

Does 1/16" from both long sides seem about right?

Should I trim the front and rear slides too?

The reason I am trying this is because the board is hard to raise, yet the
lifting mechanism (sheeves, etc.) seems to be in order.

Am I missing something ?
FEVER

Post by FEVER »

AJ,
Let me suggest, from my own unfortunate experience, that, before you trim the slide blocks, measure the foil thickness against the dimensions listed on Hot Tamale Racing's web site.
My #17 had leaked water into the seam of the dagger board shell which caused it to swell and stick in the lower end of the trunk. The hull has a metal stiffener glassed into the hull around the opening.
Good luck, either way.
Stef

Post by Stef »

If the top of your board swelled from water, your going to have trouble pulling it out of the top of the box.

The board is heavy. Are you mistaking that for being jammed in? Is it tighter when pulling the first two feet when raising, or is it tight all the way up.

There are a bunch of variables here including jammed sheaves, all look OK, but really are not.
Stef
Odyssey #146
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Hey Mr. Stef & Others -

I've taken the board out several times in the past for fairing and repairs - and measured it against the Class template.
The shape is good and measures in.

And it has been stored indoors at above 40 degrees which should prevent any water in the board from freeze/thaw - pretty sure it is not out of size.

It seems heavy all the way up.

But y'all raise good points to check out - I can lower the board about 15 inches on the trailer, and with the covers off,
will lower and raise it that much while carefully observing the slides and tackle for places that may be hanging up.
I'll do that before I pull it out.

Thanks for all the good suggestions - you're not only helping me, but showing prospective 7.9 buyers that we have an
active and helpful class. This makes our boats' resale values higher.

Other suggestions ?
Stef

Post by Stef »

Spray some soapy water on the walls. If it frees up, remove a little off the plastic strips. I also took a little off the front and rear one. Same material, just shorter.
Stef
Odyssey #146
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Stef -

I like the way you think . .

I'm now arranging to borrow a chain fall to lift the board, and will post photos of how I do it . .

Some of the contraptions I've seen used on this site look pretty scary . .

Thanks
Stef

Post by Stef »

I do it with a forklift and extended blade. Three stage, and just makes it over the lifeline.
Buddy of mine had his boat in a barn and tied a block and tackle to a beam above the boat. The problem is it's only up and down, unless you pull the boat out of the way. With my forklift I just pull away from the boat and set it down.
Stef
Odyssey #146