Daggerboard Lift

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Jim Kloss

Re: Daggerboard Lift

Post by Jim Kloss »

A friend of a friend worked in a casket factory. They had 20+ ft ceilings and a crane that moved on both x and y axes. Best solution ever. (Current solution of a chain hoist on the limb of a mahogany tree is not nearly so elegant.)

Jim Kloss
s/v Ambivalence
S2 7.9 #8
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Yeah Mr. Jim -

Our method is similar, except that we use a stationary chain lift on a stout girder, raise the board up, then roll the boat out of the way.

The big advantage of the chain lift is that one can raise the board very slowly and carefully as it comes up to the flange at the top of the trunk.

(Have paint scrapers at the ready to direct the flange away from harm)

I'll post some pics (when my crew with the chain lift gets here.)

I've also used a fork lift and front end loader, but they make me nervous - afraid of a bump/jerk when the board is up against the flange.
Lesmracer

Post by Lesmracer »

Hello, this is my first posting on this forum. i appreciate being allowed to participate. I have the 7.9s little sister - 6.9 (#66, 1984). I am hoping you all can help me since our dagger boards are similar. My board usually sticks about 1/2 way down and sometimes 1/4 down. it will go down the rests of the way after some sailing. I found the top front delrin block had broken off. it screws into the FG shell and foam (!). Any thoughts on whether this could be the problem or if there is some other possible cause for the sticking.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Does anyone have a photo of the Garhauer hardware as installed ? Would love to see it. Thanks.
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Hey Pete -

I'm no NorCal now, but will be back on the Sweetwater Seas in two weeks or so.

Be glad to send you the photos of the Garhauer set-up installed.

Did you see the photos above of the parts (uninstalled)?

Hope our CIYC friends can sail over to Sandusky this summer.

PAX, AJ Oliver
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

Here is what you get from Garhauer for your $300 bucks . .
AJ Oliver

Post by AJ Oliver »

photo . . I hope

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D04E838

Darn - cannot get photo to attach

I'll work on it later
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi Skip
Picture loaded. Pretty rich looking. I know their quality is very good but I think I can do without.
So, I'm wondering if you're getting much use out of the spinnaker you bought from me years ago at Cedar Island Yacht Club ?
TK_RACING

Post by TK_RACING »

Does anybody have any recent part numbers for options to replace the bottom block on the daggerboard lift system?
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

I made my own on my lathe using acetal and some bronze bushings. I'm not a professional machinist though though, so they aren't perfect. No one can see any flaws they might have under the daggerboard covers anyways. I know not everyone has a lathe but could be an option if you know someone with one.

I have some spare parts, debated making a few more as I have a request from someone else to make him some also.

Later
C