Leaking from Keel cover

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Photobug

Leaking from Keel cover

Post by Photobug »

The plate that holds the top block for the keel lift is a source of leakage in my boat. We were stuck below during a storm. We saw water dripping in from bolts holding this down.

Topside you can see the bolts go in crooked. They are not mounted in the wall below but instead come out of the side of the wall that holds the keel. Photos show the crooked bolt the nut and wing nut below. I was tempted to add butyl tape to the top screws to seal this area. But checking here for advice on how to stop this leak.

https://ibb.co/ZH6fGNb
https://ibb.co/yhxLTKp
reidmefirst

Re: Leaking from Keel cover

Post by reidmefirst »

Looks icky!

Mine does the same thing, but has a backing plate on the inside where the screws come through the carpet. Also, no wing nuts ;-).

Maybe using some marine grade silicon caulk around the screws for the lifting gear, is in order? Or, butyl tape or something to seal the area up from the outside.

I was looking for recommendations for deck recoring recently, Tom Elsen (one of the board admins here) recommended removing all of the screws for the daggerboard cover, and adding sealant to them. I guess some of these screws can be responsible for water infiltration into the balsa core, resulting in core rot (boo) and water leaks.
Rock & Roll

Post by Rock & Roll »

Mine is doing the same from the starboard side, in the head. It was bed with 3M 5200.
I am a huge fan of butyl rubber, and will be a project for me as well. I think it is just an ongoing item, that needs to be redone every five years.
Photobug

Post by Photobug »

"Mine does the same thing, but has a backing plate on the inside where the screws come through the carpet. Also, no wing nuts ;-)."

Interesting yours also has a backing plate on the port side of the head. To me it seems like a bad repair. The starboard side screws go straight down into something solid. I don't know if it leaks there but at least the screws are flush.

In order to make the bolts go through the port side where the nuts and wingnuts are, the screw heads are cocked and not sealable. Is the bracket and port side wall of the head the standard place to secure these screws or is this a fix leading to leaking problems and possible core rot?
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

I checked my boat last night, and it has the backing plate in the head too. I'm not sure if that came standard with the boat, or if it's a good, or a bad, repair job that was done later. For all I know it was done just to cover up carpet stains. I haven't looked under the plate, yet.

Mine keel cover is not leaking right now. I will be re-sealing it in the coming weeks though. I need to take my new sailing buddy out on the boat a few more times before I start asking him to hold bolts below while I tighten screws up top, I think :wink: .
BarryE

Post by BarryE »

No backing plates on my boat ( #11), just some bent fender washers. Port side leaks a lot so I'll be addressing that soon. Starboard side not as much. I might make up a couple of backing plates like in the previous posts. Any clues on how best to clean the stains on the headliner?
Jameso

Post by Jameso »

I’ve used 50/50 bleach/water In a spray bottle. It works well, may take a couple of applications but will clean it up.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Best be sealing whatever is leaking and prior to doing so soak any apparent balsa with epoxy. Once leaks are repaired use bolts , washers and lock nuts. Knew of one boat turned on it's side running downwind with board up.Board continued on through trunk with the aid of gravity and being fasting to the boat by the tackle sunk the boat !!!
Stef

Post by Stef »

I also had this issue once. I put a generous amount of 5200 around the hole, then install the plate. Also around the head of the screw that seat in the plate. I do have the backer plate on both sides inside. No leaks.
Stef
Odyssey #146
cklamp

Post by cklamp »

reidmefirst wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:17 pm I checked my boat last night, and it has the backing plate in the head too. I'm not sure if that came standard with the boat, or if it's a good, or a bad, repair job that was done later. For all I know it was done just to cover up carpet stains. I haven't looked under the plate, yet.

Mine keel cover is not leaking right now. I will be re-sealing it in the coming weeks though. I need to take my new sailing buddy out on the boat a few more times before I start asking him to hold bolts below while I tighten screws up top, I think :wink: .
I know this is an older thread, but my recently purchased 7.9 has these as well and they look identical to your pics. Seems like factory to me... Hull 278 fwiw.

Later
C