Opening Port Lights

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Pete

Opening Port Lights

Post by Pete »

Hello. I need to replace the two V berth opening portlights. If anyone has done this could you please share part numbers, suppliers. Thanks
reidmefirst

Re: Opening Port Lights

Post by reidmefirst »

The port lights are Beckson PO310s. https://www.becksondirect.com/product/po310/ is the basic info and ordering place.

The semi-official part list is here: https://s279.org/Documents/S2PartsList.pdf , and it lists the port light as PO310DBS-10. It seems that a few popular resellers (Defender, etc) sell part number PO310DBS-20...I'm not sure what the difference is between the -10 and -20 number at the end, might just be window color or something. But it might require a call to Beckson to figure that bit out.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks very much for your help !!!!!!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Found something similar on Amazon for $44 Cdn. Tempted to try one at the price. I'll let you know.
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

You bet.

I should probably replace the gaskets on mine, they've been a little leaky...

Anyway, will look forward to whether the cheap option works out for you.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Discovered that the Amazon port light does not have screens so it's a dead end. Thanks for your help.
reidmefirst

Post by reidmefirst »

Bummer.

I will add, I ordered some portlights from a company called Vetus and they are quite nice. They include screens on most models. I ordered some of their tiny round portlights which fit perfectly in already-cut holes in my cockpit, previous owner had some blown-out speakers installed there. The lights look spiffy, and keep water out in a thunderstorm, and the screens are easily removed for even more ventilation.

Something in Vetus' "PZ" range may fit the opening without the need to cut away any more fiberglass, and the metal frame looks a bit spiffier than the black plastic on the Beckson portlights.

Good luck!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks. I'll investigate the Vetus line.
Sam Buschell III

Post by Sam Buschell III »

I bought a pair from Defender in 2019.
They were item number 900307 Beckson Newport Rain Drain Rectangular Opening Port 310.
I had to machine them down to the correct thickness.
There are nuts available that eliminate the holes in the outside flange.
The end result is better than new.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thank you ! I'll have a look.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hello again. One of the reasons I was looking for new hatches was that the screens were so degraded from sun they needed replacing. Cost shipped to Canada for 2 screens exceeded $100 USD. Took old ones out and replaced screening quite easily. Used coarse sand paper to remove screen remnants. Placed new window screen on gasket , bedded in thin coating of silicon. Placed wax paper on that surface with a flat piece of wood. Seals perfectly at total cost of 6 Cdn bucks !! So nice when a plan works !! Cheers.