Mast spreaders

Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts

Moderators: Tim Bosma, Tom Elsen

Ed

Mast spreaders

Post by Ed »

Does anyone have information or diagrams on how to change the spreaders on my mast.

They seem to be leaking from the trailing edge, however I can find no other structural changes.

Advice appreciated!
Stef

Re: Mast spreaders

Post by Stef »

I had that. Water gets in them when the mast is down. Where I am this freezes and can do some real damage to the spreader, so I drilled a 1/8" hole at the lowest point near the clamp.
Stef
Odyssey #146
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thanks did you drill towards the outside or by mast. I assume underside.
If no other damage did you remove them and try to seal or repair in any way.
I'm not quite sure how to take spreaders off.
Thanks
DougH

Post by DougH »

My spreaders detach with just one small bolt and locking nut each. The sidestays detach from the mast quite easily without tools. I then coil each stay/spreader assembly using plastic tape to keep the coil. Store the coil in a lazaret or wherever you want for the winter.

No hole drilling required.
MnM20

Post by MnM20 »

Yes. Like DougH said, take it off. It's better for the spreader hounds when you are trailering with the spreaders and shrouds detached anyways. I've heard the extra weight of the spreaders bouncing can cause the hounds to crack.

I take off the spreaders and detach the shroud from the spreader by loosening the hex screws. Then I coil the shroud into a loop and e-tape it to the lifeline. In doing so you accomplish 2 things. 1. Hopefully you didn't loosen the turnbuckles - next time you step the rig you return to your previous settings. and 2. you never accidently swap port and starboard.
"Maiden Michigan" S2 7.9 #20